Red Pepper Jelly Sticky Rib Sauce!

Danny Woods

TVWBB Member
Just thought I'd share this with you all. This sticky sauce has a sweet oriental flavour with a bit of a bite. I found the chili paste and oyster sauce at a local oriental shopping store, The red pepper jelly or red chili dip can be found at all department stores where the cheese selection is usually.

2 tbsp olice oil
2 tsp chopped garlic
(1/4 cup red pepper jelly) or (1/4 cup red chili dip)
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tsp red chili paste
1 tbsp oyster sauce
tbsp honey

Heat oil over the stove, than add oil. cook for about 1 minute on med high temp. Turn to low than add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for about 5 minutes than remove from heat.

Danny, that sounds delicious and just might be my next rib cook.

Just checking....the honey quantity is 1 tablespoon?
Are you using this in conjunction with a rub?
Are you glazing the ribs with this near the end of the cook or just using the sauce as a dipping sauce? Or both?

Thanks,
Rita

Hi Rita,

Yes the honey is 1 Tablespoon.
I did use this in conjuncion with a rub. Just the basic 1/4 brown sugar, 2 tablespoons Paprika, 1 tablespoon chili powder, but I did another rack with no rub and they both tasted pretty well the same. I had planned to smoke the ribs with the rub and glaze at the end but due to lousy weather in Toronto, I used as a glaze at the end. I put lots on the ribs and they were very very sticky.

Danny, this sounds so good. I love Asian-inspired foods. Thanks for the update.

This sounds like a great mixture for pork butt too, but I'm uncertain as to just when to add it for the most flavor impact. I'm concerned that the sugar might burn on the surface if added too early. Maybe thin it for an injection?

Kevin??? Bryan??? Mr. M???

Rita

Rita, I would think thinning it down a little for a butt injection would work really good. Then maybe the last 2 hrs apply a couple coats of the glaze say every hour till it's finished. Sounds yummy to me.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, that sounds just right. Many thanks! I have a Big Butt cook coming up in a week or so. If I have time, I'll set one butt aside to try this on.

Rita

Rita--

If you thin it fairly substantially (it looks pretty thick as is) it would be worth a shot as an injection. You might try regular sesame oil and/or water and/or apple or plum vinegar (or a mix of the two).

The sugar content is fairly high so you'd have to be careful using it as a glaze. A thin version, painted on with a brush a few times before pulling might work well, or you could go with the injection, a rub, and the sauce. Some stir-fried Napa cabbage topped with the pork, some sauce, and toasted sesame seeds comes to mind. Maybe with a little pile of pickled ginger and some sticky rice or a simple fried rice.

A rub of a pure chile powder (or a blend of two or more say, Ancho and a pinch of Dundicut or Thai for heat) mixed with gran garlic and onion, some ginger, Chinese five-spice, and a little sugar might be nice.

For ribs, a glaze made from 3 T of the sauce heated and blended with 2 t unsalted butter, 3 or 4 drops of lemon, and 1 t honey, then painted on thinly a few minutes before pulling would work well I think. It will tighten and set very quickly, the meat will be visible through the glaze but it will be very glossy. Then serve the sauce on the side for dipping.

Looks really good, Danny.

Back