Thermometer

Mikek

I use a thermometer that came with my turkey fryer, on my WSM. I clip it to the handle on the lid and have the stem, which is 12-15 inches long, go through one of the vent holes on top.

The stem extends to close to the upper rack.

He exactly do those thermometers work? I'm wondering if my reading is from the tip of the stem or near the top of my lid (which of course could be quite a bit different)?

So sounds like I'm getting a fairly accurate reading near the meat on the top rack.

I usually shoot for about 225, assuming the lower rack is about 25 degrees cooler.

Does that sound about right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikek:
So sounds like I'm getting a fairly accurate reading near the meat on the top rack.

I usually shoot for about 225, assuming the lower rack is about 25 degrees cooler.

Does that sound about right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not assume that the lower rack is 25 degrees cooler. It might be, but unless you test it and keep the conditions the same every time, it won't be 25 degrees. Water vs sand would make a big difference. Plus, it's been generally true that the WSM evens out temperature wise over a long cook. The lower grate may start out cooler but not stay that way.

Back