Does anyone know of an awesome pulled pork recipe? (aside from Mr.Browns)

Joel Oliva

TVWBB Member
I've been requested to smoke up a butt for a graduation party this coming Saturday and wanted to try out a different recipe than Mr.Browns recipe.

Does anyone have an awesome recipe by any chance??

I've tried Mr. Brown a couple of times and it was ok, but now I just use the same rub I use on my ribs and I like it much better. I used Blues Hog rub once and it was very good. No basting, I think that is a waste of time and heat.

Here's my Rib Rub recipe. It has served me well. This is for "one batch", which easily coats two racks of St Louis cut ribs. I make up a huge batch at once and keep it in an airtight container and dispense what I need per cook.

I used this rub on 40#'s of pork butt this weekend and it came out awesome.

Packed Dark Brown Sugar 1 Cup
Hungarian Red Paprika 0.5 Cup
Course ground black pepper 1.75 TBS
Garlic Powder 1.5 TBS
Onion Powder 1.5 TBS
Kosher Salt 2 TBS
Chipotle Powder 1 tsp

This recipe is not spicy. You can easily spice it up by adding more pepper or...

This is a variation of a recipe that I bought from Tulsa Jeff. If you want his recipe you'll have to buy it as well. It's spicy.
http://www.smoking-meat.com/je...-rib-rub-recipe.html

I have had great results with Adam Perry Langs recipe:

http://www.adamperrylang.com/r...ushed-hot-red-peper/

Injection
3 cups apple juice
11?2 cups water
6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Maggi Seasoning or Japanese soy sauce

Mustard Moisturizer
6 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
6 tablespoons water
11?2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
11?2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Seasoning Blend
1?4 cup mild chile powder, preferably Chimayo, Ancho, or Hatch
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
11?2 teaspoons dry mustard
3?4 teaspoon garlic salt
3?4 teaspoon coarsely ground fresh black pepper
3?4 teaspoon kosher salt
1?2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
About 1?4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup Apple Juice Spray

Wrapping Mixture
1 tablespoon (1?2 ounce) unsalted butter or margarine, melted
1?4 cup honey
1?4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1?4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1?4 cup water

BBQ Sauce
1 cup APL BBQ Sauce, or your favorite BBQ sauce
1 cup apple jelly
1 green apple, peeled, and grated on a Microplane grater
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
Fleur de sel

The Cris Lilly one (See Recipes - Pork) consistently get rave reviews from my family and friends. It's much less spicy than the "Mr. Brown" recipe.

If you need to make more than one shoulder / butt - you can make two or more different recipes and serve them separately. That way, you can satisfy the pepper-heads and still make something good for the people with lower tolerance for that sort of thing.

So I saw this top 10 pulled pork recipe and the first one on the list was this Carolina-style recipe. I'm wondering, have any of you tried this recipe before? I think this was meant for a grill rather than a smoker. Do you guys think this recipe would go good on a bullit?

Thanks for posting all different types of recipes for me! I really appreciate it! Now I'm shopping the list here to which one to use.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you want to try tradition Carolina-style pulled pork barbecue, then this is the recipe for you!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutesYield: Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients:
•1 boneless pork butt (about 5-6 pounds)
•For Rub:
•2 tablespoons paprika
•2 tablespoons salt
•1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
•2 teaspoons cayenne, ground
•For Baste:
•1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
•1/2 cup Bourbon whiskey
•1 cup water
•2 tablespoons molasses
•2 tablespoons salt
•4 Chipotle Chile peppers, finely chopped
•1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
•1 tablespoon black pepper
•1 teaspoon cayenne, ground

Preparation:
In a small mixing bowl, combine all rub ingredients. Coat pork shoulder with seasonings and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.

Preheat grill for medium heat. Place pork shoulder on grill and allow to smoke using hickory chips. Make sure wood chips are soaked and drained before using. Add charcoal and wood chips as necessary to keep temperature at medium, or between 200 - 225°F. Smoke pork shoulder for 5-6 hours or until internal temperatures reach 185°F. Use baste every 20 minutes during the last few hours of cooking. Remember to boil any remaining basting sauce before using it on shredded pork.

Kevin,

I read your post on that recipe you posted and I'm SOLD on it. You had awesome reviews! I wasn't able to read all the posts as it had pages and pages worth.

Which wood chunk did you use and how many for a single butt?

Joel

Joel, if your refering to A Butt Rub (for Jane) I use it exclusivly and have used many different types of wood, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Oak, and the list goes on. Just use a few fist size chunks and your ready to go.

Yup! I'm going to use A Butt Rub (for Jane) Although I can't find the Ancho Chili powder.

Is this rub an overnight rub? Or can you rub and smoke right away?

You can rub beforehand or rub right before cooking, it doesn't make a huge difference. If you can't find ancho chili powder you could use any mild chili powder. Ancho, anyway, is becoming ubiquitous around here. They definitely sell it at Target.

Also, check the mexican spice section of your grocery if it has one.

Joel, you mean they don't have a spice barn or a Penzeys out in California??? Just picked up a bunch of Ancho on line cause I don't have access to any of those stores around my way

Back