My Barbeque Sauce Recipe

Danny Woods

TVWBB Member
Here's a recipe for barbeque sauce I have been using for sometime now. Friends love it. Here goes! Just add all these ingredients together in a pot on the stove just till sauce is warmed than cool.

Danny's Bourbon Sauce

1/4 cup molasses
1 cup catschup
2 cups vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
11/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon franks hot sauce
4 tablespoons Whiskey or bourbon

Corn starch, that is the first time I have seen this in a sauce. I will have to give this a try. I have given it some thought, or maybe xamtham gum, but I have never used corn starch.

Thanks ,
Rick

I tend to reduce for thickening but that's not always appropriate. I'm not sure how the cornstarch would work here--perhaps Danny can elaborate--it's thickening ability is diminished or eliminated when a lot of acid is present, a problem with several starches.

Sorry I need to revise the ingredients. I'm typing and not checking my words. Anyhow, I used 4 tablespoons of white vinegar not 2 cups. As well, when the sauce is slowly warming, add the corns starch to a couple tablespoons of water and stir till mixed as a milky fluid. Slowly add to the sauce while stiring the mixture. Corn starch thickens and adheres to the ribs more.

I tried this recipe last night and I was quite impressed. I needed a new recipe just to spice things up.

I made the recipe making only a few small adjustments.

I finely diced a small onion and sauteed it in butter until translucent. (I skipped the onion powder)
I used 4 tbsp of vinegar: 1/2 cider and 1/2 red wine vinegar.
Also, I'd say I used closer to 1 cup of brown sugar: 1/2 golden and 1/2 dark.
1 tsp of dry mustard.
Only 2 tbsp of Canadian Rye Whiskey
Also, I skipped the cornstarch water mixture. In stead, I simmered for about half an hour, but you could simmer less, as now that it's cooled, it's quite thick.

I slathered it onto a couple of racks of baby backs and it was delish.

I did find it spicier than I expected from the little bit of Franks it called for, so if you want a kid friendlier version, skip the Franks Red Hot.

I hope others give it a try and post some comments.

Happy 2011.

You had me at whiskey.
icon_razz.gif

Mike Mill's recipe for homemade BBQ sauce uses some grated granny smith apple. The natural pectin acts as a thickener. I've used this successfully for my own recipe; gives a nice body to the sauce.

Back