New to the WSM game

B.D. Hertz

Hello all,

To make a long story short after several attempts at smoking turkeys on a much inferior smoker the last couple of years I finally ponied up and bought a good one (22.5)

So this year was gonna be different, this year I wasn't gonna have to finish off our turkey in the oven after unsuccessfully attempting to smoke it (after 12 hrs. the natives were getting restless)

So feeling proud of my purchase and doing a little homework I thought I was covered and then my wife blindsided me. Not only was I going to smoke our turkey I was volunteered to do a relatives as well. My first thought was I was thankfull for going with the 22.5 instead of the 18 (I was on the fence).

Now when my own turkey takes way too long and my family members are getting antsy it's tough, but now I'm on the hook for a whole other family that will be counting on me to have this done well and in a timely manner. Needless to say the pressure is on.

My main question is will I be able to maintain a high enough temperature to smoke both simultaneously and if so how much fuel and how long should I expect. I will have two 14 lb birds using the "Self Basting" recipe on the home page which says should take roughly 2 1/2 to 3 hours for 1 14 pounder

Sorry, guess my abbreviated version wasn't too short.

Any help at all from the community will be greatly appreciated and my family will be thankfull as well.

Bret

Welcome B.D!

It is my belief that two will take no more time than doing just one. Most likely the bottom bird may be done sooner so I would swap them (top to bottom) about halfway through cooking and take that opportunity to check the internal temp at the thigh and breast. I have done brisket and pork butt at the same time and used basic times with good success.
Being this is your first big smoke take it slow and start early. If a bird is done early, wrap it in foil and wrap a towel around that then put it in a cooler. I have kept brisket for 5 hours like that and it actually made it come out juicier.
Good luck and don't be afraid to check back often on this board, I always find the answers I'm looking for here.
icon_smile.gif

Back