Maverick Remote Check Thermometer & Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First off, thanks to all who replied to my request for information on the Weber Smoker. It is exactly what I am looking for and I anticipate that I'll have one on my deck by tonight and cooking on it this weekend.

Next question, has anyone used the Maverick Remote Check when "Q'ing". what do you think? It looks like another great addition to making better "Q". I saw the one at Frontgate and the one on Amazon looks to be the same. Anyone have a number for Maverick as I have a couple of questions on their unit such as can I magnetically attach the sender to the smoker, what's hte best way to attach a probe to the top grate to get accurate temperature measurements etc...

Thanks again for all the help. I'll definately be a regular on this site.

Mark Wollner

Hi,

See this thread in the Advanced Forum for ramblings about the Remote Check thermometer:
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum1/HTML/000008.html

I don't know about attaching the transmitter to the cooker. Whether using a remote thermometer or a standard Polder thermometer, the method of putting the probe on the grate is the same. Either stick the probe all the way through a potato or through a block of wood in which you've drilled an appropriate hole. All you're trying to do is keep the probe stable above the grate surface, making sure the tip of the probe (the only part that measures temp) does not touch anything.

Regards,
Chris

I have just received my maverick remote check in the mail (thanks again guys!
smile.gif
).
Mark, the contaact telephone number for Maverick is (732) 417-9666. They're in Edison NJ. Unlike the Polder, the unit doesn't have a magnet to attach to oven. But you wouldn't want to attach to WSM, anyway (IMO) because the heat would adversely affect the plastic thermometer unit.
Hoping to play with the new toy this weekend & I'll report how it goes.

Have just used my new Maverick with an overnight cook of 3 5-pound butts. Worked really well.
However, I should make one point: I thought I'd use my polder probe that I use to monitor grate temp in the maverick. Won't do that again. It displayed temperatures about 40* higher than actual. As luck would have it, this meant that I ended up cooking at about 225* for the entire 14 hours before wrapping in foil and keeping in the cooler for a few hours.
I have to say, the convenience of monitoring the pit temp while watching live Olympics (it's the biggest game in town at the moment!) on the tellie is great. I still find a need to double check on the dial thermometer in the top vent.
I'm sure happy with the unit. If my opinion chanages after later cooks, I'll let you know.
Gotta go - womens' water polo final for Gold is on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back