Juicer

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
I have a good friend in the Tampa Bay, FL area. My wife & I would like to get him a juicer for his upcoming birthday.

Any recommendations out there?

MikeZ

I agree with Kevin that Champion does make a great juicer, however after researching quite a bit last fall, I opted for a Breville model. For the amount we use it, it does a very good job. It's not meant for wheat grass or citrus though.

Paul

I'm really just looking for something that is simple and works well. Your suggestions are great but I don't think he'll use the juicer that often. Probably only when the orange crop comes in.

MikeZ

When I think of 'juicer' I think of a unit that wil extract or press juice out of anything. Overkill if all one wants to do is make fresh citrus juice.

One can go the electric route but I don't care for them as it is too easy to overdo it and end up with juice that is decidedly bitter. For citrus juice--even in quantity--I prefer a manual press like this. That one is a smaller version of the one I had in my kitchen at the Strand, where we used only fresh citrus juice at the bar (and would easily go through 3-5 cases of fruit a night). Cut the fruit first, then one after another load each half, press, knock the spent half off while reloading--easy-peasy and no bitterness from grinding into the pith because there is no grinding.

You'll love it. I have had one of those smaller OrangeX juicers for about 8 years or so. White one though. And in fact I did pick it up at the local W&S.

I don't always like to use a glass under it though. When I bought it - Orangex has a stainless container as an accessory, I think that was another 10 bucks. They had those at the same store.

Mine was a little different than the chrome one shown in a couple different ways though there was a full base pad or rest, looks a lot heavier than the model posted. I think that SS one might be made special for W&S.

Here they are, W&S may still sell these in the store. These are all cast iron pretty much so will be heavier than the stainless unit above, so might want to consider that. It certainly doesn't move around during use.

small orangex

Here's the 16 oz cup I was talking about:

orangex cup

I use it all the time when there's a recipe that calls for juice from more than a half piece of any kind of citrus, not just for orange juice.

Back