Barbecue Chicken Soup

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
I mentioned Penzeys recipe for Barbecue Chicken Soup in another thread. I just made it a second time and it is so good it deserves to be featured.

I did make one modification - one of my fussy kids does not care for diced tomatoes, so the soup was pureed before adding the potatoes and shredded chicken. This gives it a tomato soup type base.

Barbecue Chicken Soup
1/2 barbecued chicken, or 3-4 breasts
8 Cups water
2 carrots
2 WHOLE TURKISH BAY LEAVES
6 WHOLE BLACK PEPPERCORNS
1 TB. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1-1/2 tsp. BARBECUE OF THE AMERICAS
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. GRANULATED GARLIC POWDER
2 tsp. PARSLEY
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground BLACK PEPPER
2 tsp. CHICKEN SOUP BASE

Place the chicken, water, carrots, BAY LEAVES, and PEPPERCORNS in a large soup kettle. Simmer over medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes. You want to simmer the chicken long enough to warm it through and release the spices from the chicken into the water to make a stock. Remove the chicken to a bowl and strain the stock, discarding the whole spices and carrots. Return the stock to the soup kettle and heat over medium. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and BARBECUE OF THE AMERICAS. Fry the onions until they are soft. Add the onions, potatoes, tomatoes, and the remaining seasonings to the soup stock. When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and add it to the pot. In a separate bowl, dissolve the CHICKEN SOUP BASE in a ladle of hot soup. Pour the mixture back into the pot and simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Serves: 8-10

I'm glad to see this post made the transition from the old forum. I can't believe it has been over 6 years since I posted the recipe.

My grocer had whole bone-in pork loins for 99 cents/pound this week. I was going to have it cut into chops, but he had already cleaned up his meat saw. So Plan B it was. I did some knife (and hacksaw) work and ended up with boneless pork loin roast and chops, a tenderloin, a small rack of back ribs, a bunch of other cuts that I either barbecued or cured for Canadian bacon.

I also had the backbone and other bones that I roasted and turned into stock. I am now using the stock and some of the barbecued pieces to make a pork version of this soup.

Back