Challah Recipes from Maggie Glezer

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Several of you have requested one of the challah recipes that I've been testing for Maggie Glezer. Here is one that is delicious, with a lovely dough to knead and to shape into a fine-textured bread.

I know that you'll like it as much as I do,
Rita

LOTTE LANGMANN'S CZERNOWITZER CHALLAH
From Maggie Glezer's forthcoming book "A Blessing of Bread" on challah, ethnic breads, and sourdough breads

Skill level: beginner
Yields 18 two-ounce rolls, 2 one-pound challahs, or 1 one-and-half-pound challah and three rolls
Time required: about 4 hours
Recipe synopsis: Make a yeast slurry, beat in all ingredients, and mix dough. Let the dough ferment for 1 1/2 hours, shape the dough, let the dough proof for 1 hour, bake the breads for 15-40 minutes (depending on their size).

This recipe for a classic European challah comes from the late Lotte Langmann, a survivor of Auschwitz, via her great-niece Sabina Gapany. It is not terribly sweet or eggy, but is generously enriched with oil, which could be reduced by half if desired. The Austrians traditionally use a four-stranded braid, but this dough holds its shape so beautifully during baking, it is a great choice for showing off any fancy shape.

1 envelope or 2 1/4 teaspoons (7 g, 0.25 oz) instant yeast (a.k.a. "Bread Machine" "Perfect Rise," "QuickRise," or "RapidRise" yeast)
About 3 3/4 cups (500 g, 17.6 oz) bread flour, divided
3/4 cup (170 g, 6.0 oz) warm water
2 large eggs, plus one or two yolks for glazing
1/2 cup (100 g, 3.5 oz) vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons (10 g, 0.4 oz) table salt
1/4 cup (50 g, 1.8 oz) granulated sugar
Poppy seeds or sesame seeds for sprinkling, optional

MIXING THE SLURRY
In a large (6- or 8-quart) bowl, whisk together the yeast and 3/4 cup (100 g, 3.5 oz) of the flour, then whisk in the warm water until the yeast slurry is smooth. Let the yeast slurry ferment uncovered for 10-20 minutes, or until it begins to ferment and puff up slightly.

MIXING THE DOUGH
Whisk into the puffed yeast slurry the 2 whole eggs, the oil, the salt, and the sugar. When the eggs are well incorporated and the salt and sugar have dissolved, stir in the remaining 3 cups (400 g, 14.1 oz) flour all at once, with your hands or a wooden spoon. When the mixture is a shaggy ball, scrape it out onto your work surface and knead it until it is smooth and soft, no more than 10 minutes. (Soak your mixing bowl in hot water now, to clean it and warm it if you would like to use it for fermenting the dough.) If the dough is too firm to easily knead, add a tablespoon or two of water to the dough; or, if the dough seems too wet, add a few tablespoons of flour. Older flour, incorrectly measured flour, flour stored in a warm, dry place, and differently sized eggs will all cause variations in the dough's consistency.

This dough should feel smooth and firm and knead easily without sticking to the work surface.

FERMENTING THE DOUGH
Place the dough in the cleaned, warmed bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap. (If desired, the dough can be refrigerated just after kneading and removed from the refrigerator and finished fermenting up to 24 hours later.) Let the dough ferment until it has at least doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours, depending on the temperature in your kitchen. (If refrigerated, the dough will take an extra 30-60 minutes of fermentation).

SHAPING AND PROOFING THE DOUGH
Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper or oil it. Divide the dough into 18 rolls (roll the dough out into a thick strand and cut it into 18 equal pieces), 2 medium loaves, or into 1 large loaf and 3 rolls (divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, using three of them for the bread and the other for the rolls), braid or shape them as desired, position them on the prepared sheets, and cover them well with plastic wrap. (This is another point at which the loaves can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)

Let the loaves proof until tripled in size, about 1 hour. (Add another hour if the loaves were refrigerated).

THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE BAKING, arrange an oven rack in the upper third position, remove all racks above, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. If desired, preheat a baking sheet in the oven to double with the baking sheets on which the loaves are resting (see "The Challah Baking Primer").

Beat the egg yolk(s) with a pinch of salt to glaze the breads.

BAKING THE LOAVES
When the loaves have tripled and do not push back when gently pressed with your finger but remain indented, brush them with the egg yolk glaze. Optionally sprinkle the loaves with the poppy or sesame seeds.

Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes, the 2 one-pound loaves for 25-35 minutes, or the 1 1/2-pound loaf for 35-45 minutes. After 20 minutes of baking, switch the breads from front to back so that they brown evenly, and continue to bake for another 5-25 minutes, depending on the size of the loaves. If the large loaves are browning too quickly, tent them with foil. When the loaves are very well browned, remove them from the oven and let them cool on a rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTES: If you like a slightly sweeter challah, this recipe will take an extra 1 tablespoon (12 g) of sugar without affecting the timing. If you'd like to add 2/3-1 1/3 cups (100-200 g, 3.5-7.1 oz) raisins, rinse them well with hot tap water, drain, and pat them dry before adding to the dough at the end of the kneading process.

Hey, Mords, are you out there? Are you a bread baker?

Not barbecue food, but several folks in this forum have expressed interest, so for you bread bakers out there:

Maggie Glezer's book, "A Blessing of Bread," will be out in November. Meanwhile, the 9/9/04 Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a good spread about the book and several additional recipes (all are in my top ten list) in their food section.

I don't know how long this URL will last, but it should be good until mid-day Wednesday, 9/15/04:
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/index.html

Here are URLs that will probably be good for a longer period of time:

Challah: Bread Baking offers time for reflection (article)
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/0904/09challah.html

Lekach or Old-Fashioned Honey Cake
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/0904/honeycake090904.html

Maggie's Honey Challah
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/0904/mychallah090904.html

Apple Challah
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/0904/applechallah090904.html

Sephardic Pumpkin Bread
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/0904/pumpkinbread090904.html

Shaping Challah (text + good photos)
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/living/food/0904/09shapechallah.html

The AJC neglected to print the weights of the ingredients. If anyone would like them, let me know and I'll send them on or post them.

Let's hear from you if you try any of these,
Rita

Yes im here! thanks for giving me the heads up in the other post....i happen not to bake challah...my sisters do that....i make/my wife.. a lot of kugels..(keeshes) we make our own mayo sometimes and lots of chicken and eggs...i like futzin with eggs...

however i will pass this along to my sister and see if she wants to try it...let ya know if she does.....but thanks for keeping me in mind....

Mords, I hope you and your family like it. Be sure your sister checks out the other recipes in the links from my second post, which might only be available for a week or so. I'm especially fond of Maggie's Honey Challah, the Saffron-Raisin Challah, and the Apple Challah.

Rita

Rita, just want to let ya know that i purchased maggie's book for my sis today. I'll let ya know some feedback when she tries them out...

Thanks

Back