Smoky Wintertide Breakfast

Arthur Aguirre

TVWBB Member
I love me some outdoor winter smoking, but we haven't had the brutal winter that St. Louis is accustomed to. With such mild temps, I'm taking full advantage of it.

The roasted butternut squash pancakes were delicious! My kids ate a bunch of them.

roasted-butternut-squash-pancakes.jpg

A smoked breakfast sausage is my favorite, can't have breakfast without it.

fattie.jpg

Breakfast is served.

079.jpg

Great looking breakfast!
One of these days you might be sorry I know where O'Fallon is and make it down that way a couple times a year.
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, great looking cooks! I really like the way you grouped the photos together...

The smoke ring on that sausage is EPIC!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
Great looking breakfast!
One of these days you might be sorry I know where O'Fallon is and make it down that way a couple times a year.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on over...plenty to eat!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart S:
Wow, great looking cooks! I really like the way you grouped the photos together...

The smoke ring on that sausage is EPIC!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Picasa is really handy when I don't want to make you guys suffer through 50ft worth of pictures.

I didn't even mean to post the pictures this large. There is no preview before I post!

Thanks again...worship the smoke ring!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The roasted butternut squash pancakes were delicious! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They do look delicious. How do we get the recipe? wink wink.

Wow, great looking breakfast. I will grilling some butternut squash with my jerk chicken tonight. I would like to use half of it to try your pancakes. Could you post the recipe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Berry:
That looks great...gotta try that sausage. Gimme some details...how long to smoke, at what temp and what wood chips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
Wow, great looking breakfast. I will grilling some butternut squash with my jerk chicken tonight. I would like to use half of it to try your pancakes. Could you post the recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright folks...I'll share.

Roasted Butternut Squash Pancakes
Adapted from: saveur.com

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. cinnamon
? tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup cooked butternut squash (see below)
1 ¼ cup milk
¼ tsp. cider vinegar
2 eggs
½ tsp. vanilla
Canola oil cooking spray

1.Cut the butternut squash lengthwise. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.
2.Set up the 2-zone method on the grill.
3.When the squash is cooled, unwrap the plastic and coat the flesh of the squash with cooking spray.
4.Place squash on grill using direct heat and with the lid on, vents wide open.
5.Cook until tender or about 45 minutes.
6.Scoop out ¾ cup cooked butternut squash and add it to the rest of the ingredients listed.
7.Use a ladle to pour batter onto a cast iron skillet on medium-low heat.
8.Makes about 18 pancakes.

Naked Fattie

<LI> 1lb Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage
<LI> KC Butt Spice (or your favorite BBQ rub)
<LI> Peach wood

1.Remove the packaging from the sausage while keeping the shape intact.
2.Apply BBQ rub all over the sausage.
3.Place sausage on grill and cook using indirect heat, add the wood to the coals. Close the lid, the vents are wide open.
4.When the internal temp of the fattie hits 165 degrees (about an hour), it’s done.
5.Slice ¼” thickness rounds and serve immediately.

Wow Arthur that meal looks great. I never heard of sausage smoked like that. Great idea. Also love the squash pancake idea, wow is all I can say. This is going to the top of my bbq bucket list. Did you use apple wood?

That's amazing. Great pictures, and I'm glad they're a little large. It's easier to appreciate all the details, like the carmelization on the pancakes.

Back