Sauerkraut Balls

G

Sauerkraut Balls
(Hog *ut's)

1 pound Idaho Baking Potatoes, bathed in boiling water for 5 minutes, remove, and set into an ice water bath, then cooled in refrigerator, for several hours, or overnight.
2 1/2 cups sauerkraut (well drained)
3 cups Smoked, Pulled Pork, pulsed in food processor, or chopped
2 egg yolks
1 cup, Aviator Smoky Porter Mustard (Any mustard will work, but this is primo. 1998 GOLD MEDAL WINNER, Napa Valley, World Mustard Competition. This item is worth seeking out.
1 Onion, medium size, diced
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Whole Eggs, beaten with 3 TB milk
3 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Hot sauce to taste
Oil for frying
4 TB chopped fresh parsley leaves

Peel potatoes when very cold, then grate, into a large mixing bowl. Add the sauerkraut, pork, egg yolks, 1/2 cup of mustard, hot sauce, and chopped onions. Incorporate well. Form the mixture into small balls, about
1 1/2" diameter.
Place on a parchment lined, baking sheet, and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or freezer for 30 minutes.
Preheat deep fryer to 365F
After being well chilled, remove the pans from the refrigerator. Coat each ball individually, until well coated, using the following sequence: Flour, egg wash, Panko Bread crumbs
Place the balls back on to the parchment lined sheets, until all are coated.
Fry the balls, in small batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each batch
Remove when golden, let drain on paper towel lined sheet pans, and season, while hot, with salt
In a small mixing bowl combine the reserved 1/2 cup of mustard and a few tablespoons of sour cream, mix well.
Serve the Sauerkraut Balls warm, (275F oven) on a large platter with mustard dipping sauce, garnish platter with parsley.
Yield about 4 dozen. (Recipe, can be halved)

I saw this and it really perked my interest. I had sauerkraut balls at a bar before and made them myself before. I'll have to try this recipe. However I like for a dipping sauce (not just for these but for fried zuchini also) mixing about a 2 to 1 combination of miracle whip to french salad dressing and adding chili powder to taste. I'd say like 2/3 cup miracle whip to 1/3 cup french dressing and add about 1/2 to 1 Tbl of chili powder.

Back