Are all spice (brands) the same?

RandyE

TVWBB Member
Is one brand of spice better than another? McCormick ( >$3) vs. Family Pantry (Family Dollar @ 2 for $1) or is Paprika just Paprika? Is there a shelf life?

The thing about spice is the shelf life,don't buy more than you will use in 6 mos to get best results. You can get a great but on quanity sometimes but if it'snot going to get used it's no bargin. Store out of sunlight, dry, cool spot.
I have a spice wholesaler within a few miles of my home, but the quanties are on large size so I get a couple of friends together and we split it up between us.

This company makes up rub for me in 15 to 25 pound batches but because of cooking classes and charity cooks I can go through that weight in 3 to 6 months.

For competitions I still will make up batches at home to insure the freshest product for that cook.

Jim

I've been dividing up any large amount of spices into 4- or 8-ounce mason jars and sealing with my FoodSaver. I store the jars in a plastic drawers from The Container Store in the conditions that Jim mentioned above. So far I have had good luck with their flavor retention for those herbs or spices that might not have been used within 6 months.

Rita

I just saw a little spot on the food channel about this. I'll have to see if I can dig up what show it was on, but, the shop they went to and talked to the owners said that unground spices can keep up to a year in the jar. Air is the enemy of ground spices. I'll take a look for it. Pretty sure it was Alton Brown on the good eats show.
To answer the original question in the thread, I have not a clue lol.

I called McCormick on day, and they told me to also keep my capsicums (cayenne, in my case) in the fridge.
Now I'm gonna have to put my paprika in there too.

P.S. Merry Christmas! Haven't opened presents yet, waiting for grandson to wake up.
icon_wink.gif

He's 2, this should be a good one.

Randy - I think the quality & freshness issues for spices were well addressed above. For a real jump in quality you need to go to a speciality spice shop instead of a grocery.

I would warn you away from cut-rate spice blends. I bought some cheap chili powder once that was absolutely awful - heavy on salt and fillers, and light on ground chile peppers. With the pure spices, at least you know what you are getting.

Back