KCBS contest with a single WSM?

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Classes

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Harry: Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions in this forum, and for being such a good ambassador to BBQ in general!

I've always admired your results/equipment ratio. I think it's awesome that you are taking home trophies with just your WSMs. In fact, it's inspired me to enter some KCBS contests this summer with just a *single* WSM. Do you think it's possible to enter all 4 meats with a single WSM? Given that brisket can be held 4-5 hours in a cooler, and given that I have some extra racks to increase the cooking space, I was going to go for it.

If you had a only a single WSM, how would you work the timing? Maybe you went through this stage at one point?

Thanks again, Harry, you are a true inspiration in your accomplishments but mostly in your spirit!

For KCBS comp using one WSM, I would start Brisket and Pork Butt around 10 pm. They should be done by 6am and store in Cambro or igloo. Start ribs at 6:30 am and chicken at 9:30 am. It can be done but risky should you run into problem with the long haul meats. Most people I know have run into the problem where two identical pork butt don't cook the same time with the second butt needing and extra hour. It can be done but I recommend only if you're an advanced pitmaster.

Back