BBQ Guru Thermometer

Tom Schwartz

Well, I have added the bbqguru eyelets, Ace garage door handles painted black with bbq paint, and am getting ready to finish the casters MOD on my new WSM. My last MOD I want to do is the mounted thermometer MOD. I want a good thermometer but can't afford a $40 one. I was looking at the 2 1/2 inch stem custom BBQGuru thermometer advertised on their website. It is made by Tel-Tru. Anyone have one of these? Can it be recalibrated? Can I attach it with a nut or do I have to use the stopper it comes with? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

I have one of the BBQ Guru Thermometers.
No, it can't be calibrated. I use the stopper through one of the top vent holes. It works fine there. Not sure if it has threads for "through the dome" mounting. I don't think so.

MikeZ

The BBQ Guru Tel-Tru thermometer can be calibrated. Hold it by the outer diameter and use a wrench to turn the hexagonal on the underside of the dial. This will change the reading. It does not have mounting threads. I drilled a hole in the dome at the same level as the vent and put the silicone plug there.

How will you recalibrate the thermometer. I heard that if you stick it in a glass of water with a lot of ice you will be at 32. Also lets have the guru web site. I was talking about thermometers last week. I talked to a guy at Ashcroft and he said the bimetal thermometer will measure air just fine that it will take longer to get a reading. Now we are gona test my thermometer against another one.

Use tongs to hold the stem in boiling water. The temperature should read 212 degrees farenheit minus the altitude correction. This assumes that the barometric pressure correction is of little significance.

I have this BBQ Guru thermometer and like it a lot. It goes from 50 to 500, so it is much more than just a low and slow thermometer.

That said, I don't see any real advantage of a permanent mount, while there is one very big disadvantage. I can use it in either of my kettles or the WSM. Just clean it up after each cook and slide it into whatever cooker I am using next time.

It does get a lot of gunk just from one long smoke, so for those of you who do permanently mount it, I think you risk losing some accuracy if you don't take it out and clean it fairly often.

You just need to keep about an inch from the tip clean, it's the only part doing the measuring, some scotchbrite or something similar can be used to scrub it clean without removing a permanently mounted therm.

Back