Pork Steak with grilled veggies

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
One thing I have learned about on this fabulous board is that there is always something new I want to try. And I have to add that with so many great cooks here it has made me a much better cook by learning and listening on how they do certain foods and I try to emulate that. So this is my first attempt at pork steak.

DSC_2777r.jpg

Since I work at a military commissary I had the meat department cut me 2 pork steaks about 1 3/4 inch thick. These are two monster steaks!

DSC_2790r.jpg

I salted them and then seasoned them with Penzeys 3000.

DSC_2791r.jpg

I put them direct for about 2 minutes each side and then went indirect. I used a few chunks of apple wood for the smoke.

DSC_2800r.jpg

Decided that squash would be on the menu tonight, so marinated some summer and zuchinni squash with vidalia onion vinaigrette and seasoned them with arizona dreaming.

DSC_2803r.jpg

Pork steaks were pulled when they were probe tender in the thickest part, which was 151 on my thermapen. Put a tent foil over them while the veggies cooked.

DSC_2809r.jpg

Squash onto the grill.

DSC_2816r.jpg

Picked up some large portabella mushrooms. Coated them with olive oil and seasoned with southern delight rub.

DSC_2821r.jpg

Squash off the grill.

DSC_2824r.jpg

Mushrooms onto the grill.

DSC_2827r.jpg

Mushrooms off the grill.

DSC_2834r.jpg

Pork steaks were so big, we just cut one in half and put on both plates. Since my wife and I both work during the week the extra food I do on the weekends is vacuum packed and available for quick meals. Here is plate #1.

DSC_2836r.jpg

Plate #2.

Pork steaks tasted fantastic, as did the veggies. I was a little leery of the thickness of steak thinking it would dry out. Should not have worried about that. It was very moist and the hint of apple wood definitely enhanced the flavor. I did start with way too many coals, as usual, and ended up with my bottom vents closed and a steady 350 dome temperature. I really wanted it down to about 250, but I don't think it mattered. I want to thank Bob Correll for putting up the tutorial for his grandson awhile back as I tried to follow it. For my first attempt, my wife and I were very pleased.

Thanks for looking and putting up with my long winded stories.

Wow, those are very large pork steaks! They slice them much thinner in my area, I love grillin' them! Very tasty! Your dinner looks fantastic!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

Great looking pork steaks, sides, and photos Mike!
You are now an honorary St Louisan!

A buck forty per lb. is a very good price for individual steaks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Great looking pork steaks, sides, and photos Mike!
You are now an honorary St Louisan!

A buck forty per lb. is a very good price for individual steaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob! It is a pleasure to be an honorary member of the "show me (HOW)" state..
icon_biggrin.gif
Actually lived in Springfield in the late 80's. Yes, $1.40 a pound is a good price. One of the last great bennies that us retired military get to enjoy is the commissary.
icon_wink.gif

Back