Another curing question for K Kruger or others

Randy Hill

TVWBB Fan
According to the directions on my DQ salt #1 for a brine with 10% pump to use 4oz per gallon of liquid, that seems like a lot to me but some other recipes I have found online also use the same amount. I remember reading somewhere on this site from K Kruger that he uses much less for his pumps and cures that are not for preservation. I want to try a whole fresh ham and shoulder, and also home cured corned beef, in a wet brine. Kevin would you please give me an idea on what a safe amount of pink salt would be. I read on another site where a respected contributor uses about 1oz of pink salt per gallon but that sounds like maybe not enough. Kevin i for one truly appreciate your knowledge and help on this forum and fully trust your judgment. Thanks

you can read about my ham.

If you're planning on hot smoking it, its safe to go without nitrite. safety is only an issue with long, cold smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
you can read about my ham.

If you're planning on hot smoking it, its safe to go without nitrite. safety is only an issue with long, cold smokes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the link. I see you went with the recipe in Charcuterie book. I finally received my copy. Had it ordered from Amazon since Oct 1 but the digital temp controller I ordered with it was back ordered and I checked the box to send everything together. I bought a 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer to use as a curing cooler that's why the digital temp controller. Just got it hooked up and seems to be working great. Got the idea off some home brewing sites. It's what many use for a keg cooler or Kegerator.
I see in the Charcuterie book he used a lot less pink salt for his ham and corned beef, and since you have already done the brine for Ham from the book with good results I will be giving it a try. Thanks for the reply.
I have 30# of Buckboard or butt bacon curing in my new cooler now. It should be done by next week at this time.

Back