FLBBQ Association Points

S.M. Swanny

TVWBB Member
I asked this question on the Florida BBQ Association forum but received no reply. If anyone here has an answer/opinion please reply.

According to the Florida BBQ Association Judging manual there are six judges per table who can assign a maximum score of 30 point per single entry. Regularly, on their website contest scores are listed that are above 180 points. When I questioned this I received a reply that the judges score were the raw data and that a weighted score was added.

Does anyone know what the weighted score is or how it is calculated? Is it different from competition to competition? Does the KCBS have a similar scoring mechanism?

Thanks for your replies.

They use a weighting factor in each of the judging categories. For instance, raw appearance scores are multiplied by the weighting factor to get to the final appearance score.

Somebody told me a long time ago what they are but I don't remember. Since the weighting is the same for everybody it really doesn't make much of a difference to me. I guess you could get really crazy and concentrate more on appearance because the weighting is heavier in appearance than in tenderness if you wanted (That's just an example, I don't know if it is or not).

The program on the computer that they use to enter the scores applies it automatically. Ricky could tell you what they are, he wrote the program.

Russ

Thanks, Russ.

Ricky is the one who answered my post and spoke to the weighted score but, for some reason, he didn't answer any of my follow up questions. I guess he is busy.

As you say, as long as the same weight applies to everyone it doesn't make much difference.

Hope to see/meet you in Ocala.

Being an FBA/KCBS judge the 30 he's talking about is that the highest a judge can score in any one category (appearance, taste, tenderness) is 10pts & the weighted avg (not sure on the formula there) takes it from there with IIRC taste being the highest. It's the same way in KCBS but they have 9 as highest & go by 1pt increments whereas FBA goes in 1/2pt increments.

Back