Ribs... So confusing

George Anton

I have a KCBS rib competition coming up in a month. Still have a few questions. I know that they want a brighter red color, over a dark. And that want plenty of meat, evenly slice. But I heard that they really dont want much bone showing off the ends, is that true?

Bone showing on the end is normal. In fact, I've never cooked a rib that didn't pull away and show the bone on the end. I think you may be referring to a "Shiner", which are Ribs that have meat scraped from the top side of the rib, exposing the bone. When there is too much bone exposed, the bones may fall out during the cooking process.

Right, I know about shiner, and I know it is inevitable that the bones will show out on the end. I am just wondering if its better to show more or less or if it doesnt matter

George,
I have only judged 14 contests, but I have never heard any of the judges mention that there was too much bone showing. However, if you have a lot of pull back on the bone, the ribs may be overcooked. KCBS judges consider 'falling off the bone' ribs to be overcooked and they receive a lower score in taste and probably a low score in tenderness because the ribs are considered mushy.

George, pull back on the ends of the bones is perfectly normal and you shouldn't be afraid of your ribs having that characteristic. It sounds to me like you have a great idea of what you are shooting for so keep your eyes on the target and do what you need to do in order to hit it!

Good luck at your contest!

I realize this won't help you for your upcoming comp, but I'd seriously recommend taking the class and becoming a certified judge. IMHO You'll learn more about competition bbq the first couple times you're in the judging tent than you can learn anywhere else.

Too much bone showing?? Not sure what that means... The results are in the meat, not the bones. Anybody admitting to judge entries based on the bones needs some time down at the woodshed with the guys that cooked that event.

Back