Smoked Fish Recipes

Joe P

TVWBB Member
Does anyone know a good resource or book for smoked fish recipes? I have seen a couple on TVWBB and am looking for more. Thank You!!

Joe

Joe,

Are you looking for recipes for smoking fish or for recipes using smoked fish? Just curious.

Ray

These guys have plenty of good info-
3 men with nothing better to do.

One of the things I've noticed about smoking fish is the wide range of variables regarding brining solutions, brining times, and smoke times. I've read suggestions to brine for 30 minutes or 8 hours, and anywhere inbetween. I've found brining solutions with 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water, up to 4 cups of salt per gallon! Chris' TVWB recipe is a good starting point, but the 3 Men have more info as well as the rationale behind the processes.

Joe go to your local sporting goods store for outdoor hunting and fishing. Look for a High Mountain Brand of brine. I have used this and it was excellent. for 4 bucks I figure why not so I tried it. I usae a lot of there products now. Going to be doing venison bratwurst this week.

Joe,

Here is a write up from my buddy Tom Collis. He fishes EVERY day on Lake Michigan and has experimented with smoking fish for many years. Hope this helps!

TC’S FISH SMOKING PROCESS

? TC’s Brine for 5 lbs of Salmon:
? 1 gallon water
? ½ cups kosher salt (Most recipe’s call for more but I find them to be too salty)
? 2 Tbsp. Crushed red pepper (Optional)
? 2 Tbsp. Regular grind black pepper (Optional)
? 2 Tsp. Tabasco sauce (Optional)

? Mix brine ingredients with hot water add spices
? Cool brine to 40 degrees and add fish pieces
? Brine for 12 hours
? Lightly rinse fish under running water
? Lightly oil the racks (a product like Pam works well for this) to avoid sticking.
? Put the fish on the racks and sprinkle with a heavy coat of Cajun rub and coarse ground black pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes, flip and coat the other side like the first. Be aggressive with your rub as fish can handle a lot of spices. (Thicker fillets should have more rub)
? Dry the fish with a fan for 1 ½ - 2 hours. (1 hour followed by flipping the fish and drying for another hour.) Dry the fish until the "pellicle" has formed. This is the shiny, slightly tacky, coating that your fish will get after it has dried. The pellicle helps the smoke to coat evenly and not get blotchy. Most importantly drying it helps keep in the juices and retain the firm texture of the fish as it is smoked.)
? Put racks in the smoker and cook at 180 - 200* until done. The fish will be firm to the touch.(Probably 1 ½ - 2 hours with thin fillets)
? Let cool at room temperature before putting in the fridge or vacuum sealing. If you put in the fridge when hot a lot of moisture will form making the outside surface of the fish wet. This is not always a bad thing but too much moisture pulled out will cause the inside of the fish to be drier. You will have to experiment a bit.
? Vacuum seal, label with the date and store in fridge or freezer. (Freeze if you don’t plan to eat within a week or so)

Here's a bunch of recipes. I really like the Zesty Ol' Faithful. I modified it slightly - brine for 5 hours, rinse, pat dry with paper towels, let sit out for 1 hour, then smoke at about 160-170 for 6 hours.

Back