New Spirit Design?

I guess it's Weber's way of trying to compete with the uneducated end of the market where the mighty dollar decides on purchase power rather than quality.That's not to sound snobbish at all but after years of buying cheaper and inferior products, I too have learnt theres no substitute for quality.
I have bought gassers from local department stores before only to put them out the front of my house hoping someone will just take it for free a couple of years later.
I also look at it this way, if Weber had a cheaper alternative in it's range, it might then be able to steer people towards the higher end of the market once customers get to know what's on offer and compare. Makes good marketing sense really as the Spirit is the only non US made Weber in the range.

It would be interesting to compare a Spirit and Genesis side-by-side to see if there is a difference in quality. There may have been a difference in quality even when Spirit was made in the U.S., e.g. different grades of material.

I was told during my visit to Weber last September that the Spirit is built to Weber's design specifications and that they are personally and actively involved at the manufacturing site in China to ensure it meets their standards. The family does not want to put their name on something that's junk.

G'day Chris,I hope you don't think that I'm suggesting that the Spirit is cheap quality even though it may be made in China. I've seen these Weber Spirits here in Australia and they match for quality to some of the other better brands here such as BEEFEATER & EVERDURE grills.

Horses for courses though,in order to meet other brands,you also have to have a price comparable model so you can lure customers to your better models.

cheers

Davo

Chris, Davo et al,

There is a difference between the Spirit and the Genesis
the spirit is built to a price and is designed to compete in a different market segment. Having said that, the Spiritgets up to heat quickly and will hold the temps as well as a genesis can. It cooks as good as the Genesis and also comes with a limited 25 year warranty. It is lighter than the Genesis which is understandable and the sheet metal appears to be a slightly thinner gauge metal. The Sprit is not as well finished as the Genesis as it does not have double skinned doors. Out of all the Spirits that I have seen and what the store where I demonstrate have sold, there has been no problems with the Spirit models. In Australia they are availabe with a side burner which makes them more marketable here.If dollars were an issue I would happily purchase a Spirit and have pride of ownership, many people do.

Regards

Back