Need Help NOW! If possible

JohnO

TVWBB Member
I am cooking ribs following the Basic Ribs Recipe for this site and I am about one hour into my cook and my temp is holding at 200 degrees is this ok?

I use more lit coal and I use more more unlit under (Minion).
Sounds to me you need more hot coal.
I cook baby backs and spares at 225-235'F for approximately 5 hours.

I would say to put more charcoal on. How long have the ribs been on the smoker? If they have been on for awhile you probably could wrap them in foil and place in the oven if you want to eat tonight. I usually throw a little apple juice in with the ribs with the foil.

John,
What part of S.Jersey are you from. I noticed in another thread that you had a hard time finding chunks. If your not far I might be able to hook you up with some to hold you over for a while. I have a nice supply of pecan and cherry that another member took care of me with.

John:

If you can't get the temps up even with all the vents open, assuming that you have enough charcoal, take the lid and offset it by about 1/2". That will normally do the trick.

Given the time of year I would also wonder about wind and how much water you used (and if the water was cold)

If I had to guess you are fighting on a cold day to heat up a lot of cold water in the pan. Don't forget that water can only get up to 212. As your smoker gets above that temp it acts as a cooling force. I also think you need more unlit fuel.

I was able to bring the temp up a bit but still had to finish them off in the oven. I think next time I will not use water. I did use warm water this time but next time I think I am just going without the water. The ribs were good anyway.
J Graz,
I am from Pennsville. If you could help me out that woudl be great.

Back