SS hinged grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy Gamm

TVWBB Fan
I finally got a 22 1/2" SS grate as a gift for my performer. The problem is that I suspect that a mistake was made by weber and it is a standard plated grate. Those of you who have the SS grate, does it have that stainless steel look or is it shiny and polished like the regular plated grates are? The one I received looks just like a plated grate. Too shiny for me to think it is SS.

It was in the box from weber but did not have the standard cardboard box but the receipt stated it was SS.

Thanks,
Troy

Troy, I never saw a 22.5" SS grate for a kettle. The only SS grates I ever saw, was for the gassers. All my hinged grates for the kettle, are chrome/nickle plated. HTH

See if a magnet will stick to it.

Unfortunately sometimes Weber doesn't use 304 stainless so a magnet will stick.... like on the old Performers.

Try it anyway!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troy Gamm:
Thanks Bryan. Here is a link to it from weber:

http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1117

I think there were a few threads a while back on them for the kettles.

Troy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Troy, That sort of rings a bell now that you mention it. Thanks
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troy Gamm:
..... The problem is that I suspect that a mistake was made by weber and it is a standard plated grate. .............. Too shiny for me to think it is SS.

It was in the box from weber but did not have the standard cardboard box but the receipt stated it was SS.

Thanks,
Troy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you say that, I thought the same thing when I received mine. Yes it was shinny. What made me think it actually was stainless was the diameter of the metal was a bit thinner then the one I replaced. A magnet does stick to it so........ I was going through a grate per season, so far so good.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Troy, I just got mine the other day. I compared the ss to a new chrome and there is a difference. While the ss is shiny it looks like it has a slightly dull finish compared to a chrome job.

im kinda wondering how long the ss one will last. Im also replacing mine once a year with the standard chrome one.

After looking at it again, I do agree that it is a bit less shiny than the chrome one. I really just got tired of replacing the chrome one every year. We will see how long it lasts. I was very surprised that it was less than $20.

I had my first cook on it and it went great. I will let you know.

As far as where you can buy them, I have only seen them on the Weber site.

Thanks,
Troy

I am almost positive that I have seen the SS hinged grates for both the 18.5 and 22.5 at HD. However, I did not look at them closely, but I will durning my next trip there, which could be this weekend.

I just got a SS for the 22.5" and tried a couple of magnets. Neither stuck. I have also ordered an 18.5" that will replace the top grate on the WSM. They really are a bargain IF the stainless is of good enough quality to avoid rusting.

I ordered a couple of these directly from Weber over the phone...and they've been awesome. I've gone out of my way not to cover my grill, and expose them to the elements. They clean off easy when the grills hot...and there's no indication of rust whatsoever. I plan on buying far more than I need. You know...just in case I need them...and Weber gets the hairbrained idea that they last too long and they're not going to manufacture them anymore.

To follow up on my earlier post, what I received from Weber was not the ss grate (I got into a conversation with the rep when ordering and I know I confused her). I reordered back in June and the ss steel grate that I received did not have a high polished finish. It has held up over the summer quite well.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joel F.:
I have a SS hinged grate for my kettle and it is stainless as it passed the magnet test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the magnet test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back