Couzan Billy's Chicken Thighs

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kevin Taylor on 8/5/2002

------------------
Last year, Jumpin' Jim, a very successful BBQ cook, won the overall chicken category in the KCBS annual awards. He was kind enough to share his technique on another forum. Now, almost every competition team uses chicken thighs and many follow his exact technique.

Below, is a version that I have used and is very good. The technique calls for soaking the cooked thighs in BBQ sauce for an hour. As you can imagine, the flavor of the sauce becomes very important! He uses Head Country Rub and Sauce. I make these thighs quite a bit and use a variety of sauces.

This recipe will result in VERY tender and moist chicken. You can use legs as well. One last thing, it uses LOTS of sauce.

The sauce below is from my Couzan, Bill Conklin.

Hope you enjoy!

Couzan Billy's Chicken Thighs

20 ounce(s) Catsup
1/3 cup Oil
1/3 cup Cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup(s) Onion(s), chopped
3 Garlic clove(s)
2 tablespoon(s) Brown sugar, dark
2 tablespoon(s) Jalapeno peppers, diced
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
12 Chicken, thighs

PREPARATION:
Make sauce day before.
In saucepan, heat oil. Saute onions and garlic.
Add remaining ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Marinate thighs overnight in Italian Salad Dressing(Jumpin' Jim uses Newman's Own Olive Oil Vinagrette).
Rub with your favorite chicken seasoning...be sure to lift the skin and rub underneath it. Then let it fall back into place and rub more on top of the skin.
Cook using indirect heat until temp reaches 180*F(1-3 hours, depending on your cooker temps).
Place thighs in a foil pan and cover with sauce. Loosely cover with foil and place back in cooker over indirect heat. Let simmer for 1 hour.
Just before serving, crisp up over direct heat.

Stogie

Made this recipe my first smoke couple weeks ago. I wanted to do something fairly simple so I paired the chicken up with some baby backs. Outstanding! I also used a little of the sauce as one of the ingredients used to jazz up a store bought bbq sauce...mmmmmmm Thanks Chris!

Back