Why cant i calibrate a thermometer properly?

I just cant do it. I set a pot of water to a roiling boil. I insert the thermometer to about the middle of the water and wound it till its around 212 degrees.

not sure if i am doing this right. If i move the thermometer closer to the bottom it gets hotter etc. maybe a video would help

We need a bit more information. First off, what thermometer are you attempting to calibrate?

With the water in a full rolling boil, keep it in the upper part of the pot of water, about 3/4 of the way up. If you get the end too close to the bottom, you get a higher reading because of the heat coming off the bottom of the pot.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

How about a glass of ice water. Mostly full of ice then add the water. Stir the contents with the probe and adjust 32. Might be a little more consistent temp throughout than the boiling pot.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

When I do mine I use a strip of aluminum tape across the top of the pan poke a hole in the tape for the thermo steam to go through. Fill the pot with water so it comes 3/4 " up the steam. Set the pot on the burner and bring it up to boil. It saves on burning yourself and keeps the steam in the same place for an accurate test.

Make sure your pot of water is big enough that you can get submerge most of the stem without touching the bottom. Some of my therms need to be half way in the water before they measure 210. If I don't put then in far enough they dont get up to temp, and the temp will climb as it gets deeper in the water.

Back