Help Wanted: 1st Pork Shoulder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

All,
I have an 8.5lb pork shoulder (bone in) and need some advise. First, should I remove the skin prior to cooking? Second, is there a type of smoke wood that everyone prefers over others for pork (maybe hickory)?, what's the prefered type of rub (maybe the renowned Mr.Brown? The turbinado sugar sounds good!). Also at 250 degrees (dome temp) how long do you think it will take?

Your doing a picnic, to get much of a smoke flavor you would need to remove the skin but I suggest cooking with the skin on, eats like a ham.
Try a butt next time and you will see what the real southern treat is like, pig candy!!
Hickory, pecan or fruitwoods will work very well, understand that hickory is strong and can be over done. You only in need to put smoke on the first 4 hours or so and then heat from charcoal will do the job.
Plan on 2 hours a pound but it's done when you get to an internal temp of 188? of higher.
Jim

Jim, what can I expect at 188 degrees? Fork tender, falling apart ? Would you recommend using a suggested pork rub from Smoke and Spice or Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces book?

I haven't tried a picnic yet, it on my to-try list Is it just the nature of picnic meat is that it will eat/slice like a ham?

If one did a whole shoulder would that be any different? Assuming a shoulder would fit in the WSM.

Brian

At 188? you should be able to slice, it may be to where a section may want to go to pulled.
I would not cook the two section of a whole shoulder together, only because they would not cook up evenly. I really prefer Butt to picnic, if your cooking for a group, butt is the way to go.
A picnic just doesn't get smoke on it like a but does and there's no bark.
As far as rub goes there a lot of very good ones. Either of the books would be good source or you could try BRITU.

Picnics are so much like ham that you'll often find them in the grocery store cured, partially cooked, and sold alongside the traditional whole, shank-end, and butt-end hams from the hind quarter (rear leg) of the pig.

Regards,
Chris

Ok let's rock.....The 8.5lb shoulder was on at 5am this morning and I've been cooking on the top grate (temp 200-220 with Polder probe through potato). Used S&S Mr.Brown rub (I like the proportion of black pepper in the recipe) and apple juice baste when turning. I tried not to lick my fingers after I turned the picnic...it's smellin good and browning nicely. At 1pm the internal temp is 156.

13 hours 45 minutes later.....out came the lightly hickory smoked shoulder at 170 degrees thoughout. Tried something new this time. I placed aluminium foil on the lower grate to collect the drippings and made a great dipping sauce.

Thanks for the update. Sounds good, makes my tongue hang out!
tongue.gif
Guess I'll have to cook pork butt soon!

Regards,
Chris

One final note to Jim...Being a new WSM'er I just couldn't hold out for 188 internal temp. Too much temptation I guess. Next time (Boston butt for sure) I will rearrange my start time and finish at your suggested temps.

Thanks to all

Believe me,with Q, holding out for the
correct internal temps is worth the wait.
Flavor and overall enjoyment will improve by waiting the extra time.
The devil made you do it!! :>
Jim

Jonathan I cooked 2 Butts on Sat. and I held out until 178-180 but I gave in as well. They tasted great but next time I will go longer.

Chris

I also cooked some Butt this weekend. Put it on the WSM at 10pm Saturday night, and took it off at 12:15pm Sunday afternoon(14.25 hours). Dome temp ran at 250 almost the entire cook (uncanny how well the WSM holds temp). I used the Minion method, three chunks of unsoaked hickory, and basted/rotated at 8 hours (mostly cause that is how long I slept.)

Butt was 7 1/2 pounds, trimmed about 1/2 pound of fat, and temp when I pulled it was 183 degrees. Note--it sat at 160 degrees for about 3 hours, then shot up in last 90 minutes to target of 180.

Let it set, wrapped in foil, on top of stove in kitchen for 90 minutes, easily pulled it apart--all for sandwiches, which we ate Sunday night. Yummy.

As Jim says, patience, especially for butt and brisquet, is essential.

also, I am now a true convert--the only thing that touches my butt is mustard and vinegar--along with a few spices, but no BBQ sauce, apple juice, etc. You gotta try it and you too, will believe.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back