Pork & Poultry Stock ---> mushroom soup

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
2-3 lbs poultry bones, cleaned, oiled and salted, then roasted
smoked pork. I used trimmings from spares. I think pulled pork would work great here too.
2-4 onions quartered
Carrots roughly chopped
smashed garlic
celery leaves and ribs, roughly chopped
bay leaf
peppercorns
2-3 cloves

Combine all ingredients in 2 pots, cover with water and bring to low low simmer. Simmer on low heat for 4+ hours, adding water or wine as necessary. I reduced after straining as shown.

For the soup:
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
1 red onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, chopped
2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt
pepper
grated parmesean or pecorino cheese
Croutons

melt butter in oil, sautee carrots, celery, and onion for a few minutes over med. heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic to bare pan and cook until just fragrant then stir in. Once vegetables are soft, deglaze with white wine, let boil off, then add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cook covered until mushrooms have released fluid and are soft, about 10 minutes. remove cover, add poultry stock to cover and soy sauce, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve topped with grated cheese and croutons.

Making Stock

Roasted turkey and chicken bones at 400 for about 60 minutes, covered in water, brought to just under boil.

Added some smoked trimmings from St Louis style spare ribs to the pot on the left.

IMG_2049.jpg

Add onions, celery, carrots, smashed garlic.

IMG_2051.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg

Add bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, parsley stems, simmer extremely low for 4 hours

IMG_2052.jpg

Strain stock twice and put back on heat to reduce. Discard solids.

Start pot of soup with onions, celery, carrots and garlic... see below

IMG_2053.jpg

Reduce stock by A LOT

IMG_2056.jpg

Chill overnight, stock is solid like set jello

IMG_2058.jpg

Remove fat,
IMG_2063.jpg

melt and pour into ice cube trays to store

Meanwhile,

Add 2 lbs chopped baby portabella mushrooms to soup pot

IMG_2054.jpg

Simmer mushrooms for 15 minutes until soft, then deglaze with wine and add poultry stock to cover and some soy sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes

Add chopped rosemary and parsley at the end. Top with pecorino romano cheese.

IMG_2055.jpg

Back