Chestnut roasting over an open Smokey Mountain??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've weighed all the options, costs, mods, divorce court, etc. of all the pits and smokers for $200 or under and have decided on the Smokey Mountain. With this great site for support I'm looking forward to some great barbecue "de barbe et queue!". I'm currently in the process of removing chestnut trees from my yard and was wondering if anyone has had any experience using chestnut as a smoking wood?

Welcome Jonathan. You've certainly decided on the right machine. Warning tho Q'in is a highly addictive passion <experiencing withdrawal from last weekends brisket>.Somebody...help me quick..please...send me some 'Q'.

I've checked out all of the wood suggested by the FAQ and will definitely save some of the Oak that I've been removing (I'm getting too old for this) for the Weber. (Thanks Jim!) The Chestnut on the other hand was not mentioned and when freshly cut, has a lighty sweet fragrance. I have burned it before in a fireplace but never as an enhancement for the Q. It seems to burn hot in the fireplace so I might try it sparingly for a test. And you're right Joe C. Q'in is quite habit forming!

Jim,I think I need glasses! The first time I looked I didn't see it but that link you gave me does mention chestnut wood for smoking!

Thanks to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back