Another Coleslaw

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
1 2-lb green cabbage head, outer leaves removed, shredded

2 carrots, scrubbed, grated

1 small wedge red cabbage, grated (optional)

1 c buttermilk

1/2 c mayo

1/4 c sour cream

2 T each minced sweet pickle and minced dill pickle (or so, I just eyeball)

1 shallot , minced

3 T minced fresh parsley (or so)

1 t Dijon

a splash (about 1-2 t or so) cider vinegar

a squeeze of a small piece of lime

a pinch of salt

several turns of the peppermill

sugar

Salt-wilt the vegetables: Toss the green cabbage together with the carrot, red cabbage (if using), and 1 T salt in a large colander. Put the colander in the sink (or if the sink is not available put the colander in or over a large bowl). Weight the veg mixture down by filling a gallon Ziploc almost full of water, zipping it closed and placing it on top of the vegs, or by placing a clean plate that's just large enough on the vegs and placing a weight (4-5 unopened soup cans or the like) atop the plate. Allow the veg to drain 2-3 hours. (See note.) Remove the weight, fluff the vegetables and, using paper towels (in order to gently blot them), scoop up a handful of vegs at a time and transfer them to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, mayo and sour cream till smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients except the sugar and stir well. Taste and add sugar to taste (I add somewhere between 1 and 2 t). Chill till ready to mix with the vegs.

Note: Salt-wilting is optional but I highly recommend it. The salt wilts the vegetables by drawing out excess water--it drains out the colander. Removing this excess water first helps prevent the slaw from becoming watery after it's mixed.

Since the vegs are already lightly salted no salt amount is given in the dressing ingredient list. Mix the dressing with the vegs, taste, and if more salt is required add some just before serving. (If you are making the slaw ahead of time it is better to allow it to chill without the additional salt.)

If you wilt the vegs and make the dressing but have no time to chill the slaw before serving then, while the vegs are still in the colander, fluff the vegs and pour a gallon or so of ice water over the them. Drain well, shaking the colander. Working quickly and using paper towels to lift a handful at a time, blot off any remaining water and put the vegs in a large bowl. Mix in the chilled dressing, adjust the salt; serve.

Kevin, I tried this recipe yesterday as a side to go with smoked Chuck roast, and it was fabulous. My wife and daughters and I have never been fans of cole slaw, so I thought about making just a half recipe. I'm sure glad I didn't cut it in half. Everyone raved about it.

I find that most cole slaw is too rich and way too sweet. This recipe nicely sidesteps that problem.

But of course, Jane--and, David, I'm glad you liked it. It's based on a CI recipe of a few years ago that I found lacking.

If making the dressing in advance go easy on the celery seed as it can overwhelm after a while. Celery seed (or finely chopped celery) is good in it, especially, when using the dressing for smoked salmon salad. I sometimes use the dressing to misten crab or chopped chilled grilled shrimp (increase the lime slightly) before filling avocado halves.

Note: Salt-wilting is optional but I highly recommend it. The salt wilts the vegetables by drawing out excess water--it drains out the colander. Removing this excess water first helps prevent the slaw from becoming watery after it's mixed.

Maybe a stupid question, but what exactly is salt-wilting?

Scott-- It's this part: "Toss the green cabbage together with the carrot, red cabbage (if using), and 1 T salt in a large colander. Put the colander in the sink (or if the sink is not available put the colander in or over a large bowl). Weight the veg mixture down by filling a gallon Ziploc almost full of water, zipping it closed and placing it on top of the vegs, or by placing a clean plate that's just large enough on the vegs and placing a weight (4-5 unopened soup cans or the like) atop the plate. Allow the veg to drain 2-3 hours. (See note.)"

I'll edit the recipe to make that clearer.

I made this yesterday for my friend who was coming for pulled pork dinner. It was excellent. I did a couple of different things. Added some celery seed to the dressing and a bit more cider vinegar. I really should have added more sugar, maybe putting a 1/2 t. and could have used a touch more. Used white pepper as well. Thanks Kevin. Definitely makes enough for a crowd.

Halved this recipe yesterday to go on the side with some spareribs. Exellent! In addition I added 1/2 teaspoon of prepared horseradish. (I like that little kick it adds.) I really liked the buttermilk in this recipe. Thanks Kevin

Mike

This recipe has made my year! Fireworks tonight!

Why did it take me so long to try this recipe? To our taste, my mother's somewhat similar coleslaw was always the best for most sides, but it was never right on a pulled pork sandwich (seasoning choices such as tarragon, for one thing). I've tried a few other coleslaws but they just didn't do it for me on a pulled pork sandwich.

Tonight we had the best pulled pork sandwiches ever and it was because of Kevin's coleslaw. Similar to my Mom's but with special tweaks and seasoning adjustments that made it perfect for pulled pork. Talk about pulling things together!

Think I'll just have another forkful before turning off the lights tonight. Now I'll have to figure out if it is complementary or contrasting.....
icon_smile.gif

Rita

I make a similar recipe except substituting plain yogurt for the soured cream and adding some chopped cucumber, tomato and some of the same rub I use for q'ing. Makes a great side salad.

Al

I would love to try Kevin's recipe as written,
but have a hard time finding buttermilk round here.
would a cultured buttermilk blend work, or should I just sub yogurt?
Timothy

Originally posted by timothy:
I would love to try Kevin's recipe as written,
but have a hard time finding buttermilk round here.
would a cultured buttermilk work.
Timothy
Tim, That's what I use. Cultured 1% is what I get here. Even in Amish town, It's hard to find the real deal anymore.

Tonight's variation: As written above, but I dropped the vin, lime and dill pickle and replaced it with about 1/2 of a small pickled lemon, pureeing it into the dairy mix. Very tasty.

Tried the original recipe. Not sure that the extended drain time is necessary but the results were very good.

Back