Butterflied chicked on a Q220

Claude M

TVWBB Super Fan
Just as an FYI in case anyone thought of cooking a whole chicken and thought it would catch fire (as I did). It was almost 5lbs, and the gas valve set almost all the way down, temp at about 350. Took almost 1.5 hrs and came out great. Next one I cook, I'll take a picture. Very impressed with this little grill.

There are some posts under this topic that show how to cook indirect on a Q220 - sear both sides - then sit the chicken off the grill - put down a piece of foil just big enough so no part of the bird hangs off over the foil, then sit the bird on a warming wrack that is slightly raised off of the grill grate - either by the design of the wrack or by 4 balls of foil holding up each corner of the warming wrack.

Gives you a great way to finish off a larger piece of meat like a spatchcocked chicken.

I agree - the Q220 is an amazing little workhorse of a grill!

Pat

Hi Guys

I just did a 4 lb (1.8Kg) spatchcocked chook (chicken - pardon my accent). Actually I do them regularly on the Q220.
I preheat for 10 minutes on high with the trivet on the grill - no foil underneath. This kills off the nasties and warps everything up. I then brush the trivet and wipe it with oil on a bit of paper towel. I then place the chook on the trivet skin side up and then I turn the Q down to about 3 - 4 strokes from low and close the lid. I cook it for about 20 minutes and then flip it and cook for a further 20 minutes skin side down.

Works great. You will need to take note of your gas setting and the size of the chook you cook to get your timings right. Mine are approximate only.

Cheers

Back