Smoked Trout Salad with Horseradish Cream, Pépin

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
SMOKED TROUT SALAD WITH HORSERADISH CREAM, Pépin

Makes 4 servings. I learned how to smoke trout when Gloria and I first got married; she was an avid fisherwoman and caught some trout almost every weekend in the Catskills. Commercially smoked trout is usually available in supermarkets, but if you can’t find any, substitute smoked whitefish or smoked bluefish.

SMOKED TROUT SALAD
2 smoked trout (home-smoked or store-bought); each about 8 ounces with head on)
1 large hard-cooked egg, peeled
1 cup diced (1/2-inch) seeded tomato
1 cup pitted mixed olives (Kalamata, black, and green), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (preferably from a sweet onion, such as Vidalia)
5 tablespoons loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons good olive oil

HORSERADISH CREAM
1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
1 tablespoon bottled horseradish
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Crunchy French bread, for serving

FOR THE TROUT SALAD: Remove the skin from the trout; it should slide off easily. Bone the trout by pulling the meat carefully off the bones so that all the small bones stay attached to the long, large central ones. Set aside.

Using an egg slicer, cut the egg into vertical slices, then pivot the slices together 90 degrees in the slicer and cut them horizontally to create thin egg strips. (Alternatively, you can slice the egg with a sharp knife.) Put the egg, tomato, olives, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, and oil in a bowl and toss together gently.

FOR THE HORSERADISH CREAM: Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl.

Divide the tomato mixture among four plates. Make a well in the center of each mound. Spoon the sauce into the well in the center of each salad, dividing it evenly. Arrange pieces of trout on top of the sauce, using about half a trout per person. Serve with French bread.

Source: Pépin, Jacques. "Fast Food My Way" (c) 2004 Houghton Mifflin, ISBN: 0618393129

Back