Stokerlog question

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
OK, this may be a dumb question: does the stoker log require access to the internet?

Here is why I ask. I do not have a wireless bridge. In order to atleast be able to monitor from inside, I set up an old router(Dlink that can't be flashed with new firmware) and plugged the stoker into it.
I am able to pull up the stoker info but stokerlog cannot connect. I am assuming the problem is that the router is not connected to the internet.

I plan on getting a wireless bridge, but for now I am having to make do as I am planning an overnight tomorrow night.

Hi Jeff,

First check that your Stoker IP Addr in StokerLog is set to the same IP address as your Stoker. It is a good idea to use a static IP address with the Stoker. If that isn't the problem you might have a firewall (software-based or router-based) blocking telnet. Check your firewall setup and open port 23 (telnet) to the stoker IP address. This is just a guess.

Good luck with the first Stoker cook! Once you get it all working the Stoker is a wonderful device imo!

Tom

stokerlog needs nothing more that what the browser needs to talk to stoker. So if you are able to connect to stoker using the browser, the same should work with stokerlog. No Internet connection is necessary.

If you give me the error message and what you typed into stokerlog for the address, I can help figure out what is going on.

Sorry Amir, I was thinking that StokerLog used telnet for communicating with the stoker. Thanks for clarifying! My mistake.

Jeff, what did you type for "IP address" in stokerlog? Just the numbers, right? If you put the "http://" in front of them then that is the problem.

As an example, if the browser worked with "http://192.168.1.8" then you type "192.168.1.8" in stokerlog at the top right where it says IP Address.

Tom, you are correct that stokerlog also, in default mode uses telnet. But that telnet is a local connection in this context and not anything to do with having an Internet access.

Stokerlog can also be instructed to only work with HTTP if you check that button. It won't run as fast and smooth but it does let you use multiple copies of stokerlog to monitor your cook, say one from work, and another from a PC at home (telnet interface can only be used by one program at a time).

Yes, I used just the numbers. no http:.

Is there something else I need to do when I open stokerlog to get it to connect?

There is really nothing else required. Stokerlog opens the stoker just like the browser does.

So to confirm:

1. You used a browser and typed http://IPaddress and you connected to stoker.

2. On the same PC, you privde IPaddress to stoker (with nothing other than the four numbers seperated by ".") and you get that error?

Can you cut and paste the screen image here from stokerlog?

OK, once I got home and tried again it worked. Undoubtedly user error so I will chalk it up to working too much. Thanks for the help.

Once I got the cook going it went well until sometime in the middle of the night it spiked 2 times. They were quick spikes up to 266. is that a common one with the stoker as it burns a wood chunk or just an anomaly? This was my first cook so I am trying to note things I can do for next time.

One more question. I noticed that the fan speed hasn't gone above 1 on the fan rate side. Is that normal (ie is fan an on off) or should I see higher speeds.

Jeff,

Not knowing what your target temp was makes interpreting the spike difficult. If you were targeting 250, it could just be a piece of wood. If you were targeting 225, then you may have an air leak or something else going on.

On the fan speed - I believe there is only one speed..on or off. In the older versions of the stoker firmware, it would report variable speeds, but I believe that was an error. Since I updated my firmware, I only get the one speed.

Pat is right. The old firmware used to report a number from 1 to 10 which was the likelihood of the fan being on or off, but not its true status. The newer firmware also reports that, but also gives me a simple 0 or 1 to indicate fan status.

BTW, I use the data in either case to compute the amount of fuel you are using!

And spikes are normal. After all, this is not a regulated gas flame but random fire...

That makes sense. Thanks so much for all your help. Just got done pulling the 4 butts. Gonna be a great day of tailgating.

So my question is that my stoker didn't have a web address in there when i looked on the system so I am trying to use 192.168.001.008 in the address bar and it won't open. i have it directly plugged into the computer. What am i doing wrong?

You can't connect it directly to a PC, you'd need a crossover cable. Then you should be able to assuming the computer and stoker are in the same network and subnet. For example 192.158.001.XXX subnet 255.255.255.0

Back