SJS assembly - spare parts :)

JamesH

TVWBB Fan
I bought a Smokey Joe Silver and noticed that after assembling everything that there's an extra washer. It came with five washers. Three went on the legs and one under the ash pan. Where's the last one go?

The instructions make it look like it goes on the vent in the lid, but that looks like it was attached with a rivet and doesn't come apart.

Sounds like you got an extra one. I have put together 2 of them. 3 are used on the legs and then one for the ash pan. They put an extra hubcap in my OTS.

you found it !! thats the one that weber has been looking for. was driving them nuts. naw just an extra to be thrown in with the other "extra" stuff. but seriousely, i would recommend you replace all that with ss hardware. it won't take long for that cheap stuff(shame on weber)to start rusting and mess things up.

Thanks guys. Weird thing is that the instructions say there's five washers included.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but seriousely, i would recommend you replace all that with ss hardware. it won't take long for that cheap stuff(shame on weber)to start rusting and mess things up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The grates aren't stainless steel already?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
its just the picture #. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then where's picture #2
icon_wink.gif

Look at the assembly manual. it sure looks like it says there's five washers. I think the fifth washer is for the top vent but that didn't use a nut and was already installed.

well, i see it as a numbering system. the page below shows a small pic showing four of each piece. the top vent has always been rivited. if that washer was for the vent, where is the bolt and nut for the vent ? i have put more than several of these together and don't remember an extra washer. plus the fact that now i just throw all that in a box anyway and use ss hardware instead. can't imagine all this over a washer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
well, i see it as a numbering system. the page below shows a small pic showing four of each piece. the top vent has always been rivited. if that washer was for the vent, where is the bolt and nut for the vent ? i have put more than several of these together and don't remember an extra washer. plus the fact that now i just throw all that in a box anyway and use ss hardware instead. can't imagine all this over a washer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just trying to save Weber a few cents in the future.
icon_smile.gif

my appologies to james. i was digging around for a tool and saw the hardware bag. counted the flat washers. yup 5 ! no idea why. assembly inst don't show 5 being used except for the top vent but its riveted and there is no bolt or nut for the vent in the bag anyway so who knows ?? after this i'm gonna take that extra washer and throw it as far as i can. well, maybe the whole darn bag
icon_mad.gif

The SJ's of old, had 6 washers. One for each side of the bowl. I recomennd changing them to stainless and getting stainless nuts and bolts.

Why can't I find extra money like I find extra parts? Just got a new 22.5 OTG and it had an extra wheel nub (the part you bang on with a hammer).

keep that "nub"! for some reason the ones you get of the correct size at big stores is white. if the cap is good but the metal part is bad i carfully pry off the cap and exchange parts so the black is on the proper sized metal part. or order from weber $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Back