following finishing sauce:

1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs turbinado sugar
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs Tabasco
1 tsp kosher salt
cracked pepper to taste (maybe 1/2 tsp)

You could probably get by with something even simpler, with just vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. That's the direction I'm heading in.

-Richard

Steve

Thanks for the tip. I've looked for a commercial source for a vinegar based sauce, but haven't been able to find one. My son lives in Hillsborough (I'm in Fl) so I'll get them to check for me. However, since I don't want to wait for a visit, I'll probably order.

Paul

No problem Paul, Tell your son that he can buy the sauce at any Food Lion Grocery store in North Carolina. I bought a bottle today for $1.69 for the middle size bottle. They do not sell the small bottle in the Grocery stores. I'm telling you this is the most flavorful Eastern Carolina sauce available commercially. I hope you enjoy it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Steve,
I took a look at the Web site you posted and that stuff looks good. Unfortunately they don't sell it in Kansas City. Go figure. Oh, well. It's not a "traditional" Kansas City type of sauce.

Anyway, I'm getting a quote for shipping. Thanks for the lead. I like fiery vinegars. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
sam

Hey Sam,
If you buy over the Internet, go ahead and get the gallon size. Its cheaper and the sauce keeps in the fridge or at room temp well. I gave my brother two bottles about a year ago and he's still using the last bottle and he sez it still taste great. Also, if it's hotter than what you or someone else my like, don't shake it up before pouring some out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks Steve. Just got off the phone with Sybil and have two 16 ounce bottles coming my way. Figured I'd start small, just to make sure it was to my liking. Of course, when we're talkin' que, what's not to like. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

That's great Sam, let me know what you think. Pass some of it around KS and those folks critique it also. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Steve

No reason to start small. I ordered a case (12) of the 16 oz. bottles. Plan to give a few for X-mass at my office along with the pull pork I give out about once per month - no, we don't have any more openings. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You should get a commission.

Paul

Hey Paul, did you get your sauce? If so how was it. I hope you like it. Steve /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have sent my Director of Marketing on a mission to Raleigh with instructions not to return without at least three 16 oz. bottles of Scott's. (Okay, so he was going there anyway on a sales trip.)

Steve

I've received it, but I've been doing so much hunting, I haven't had time to smoke any more boston butts. However, I may try to work it in this weekend. The people I dealt with were very nice and helpful. Thanks again for the tip. Unlike some others here, I don't mind a shortcut such as a prepared sause. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

John

The costs of the case of 16 oz bottles was about $20 and shipping and handling was around $10.

Paul

I got two 16 oz bottles shipped to Kansas and the total, including shipping, was $12. It should be here today or tomorrow.
sam

Steve

I went ahead and tried some of the sause on left-over venison shoulder roast I brought home from the weekend. I like it, and it is not like anything I've tried before. I'm not a real "hot and spicey person" as my wife might attest. The sause is hotter and spicer than I expected. However, I did not shake the bottle and I enjoyed it. Had I shaken it up, I think it would have gotten the best of me. For me a judicious amount is just right.

The history of the sause and the Scott family on the website is very interesting.. This is not your run of the mill sause.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Paul

Got my sauce and it has some very interesting characteristics. Starts out a little sweet which is then followed by a slow burn. I liked it. Wouldn't call it my most favorite, but it offers a nice change of pace. I also used it as a dipping sauce for pizza crust last night.

I like the NC Sauce recipe in the BBQ Bible cookbook. It's similar to the one Chris posted here. I'll look it up and post it later.
sam

If the heat is a litle too much with this sause, and it is with me, you can bring it down with a dilution of apple cider vinegar.

Paul

Back