Sears Smoker?

I checked the Sears web site and there is one in the store on my route home. I plan to stop by and give it the once over.

I'll report back soon.

I looked at Kmart @ a BBQ pro smoker i think it was smaller than the sears one. Although could be the same company, i wasn't too impressed with the unit I saw at Kmart, but that one was $39.99 so what can you expect. I'll be curious to hear steves take on the sear unit, it's 30 bucks more, so we see. John

I saw it, I didn't buy it. Didn't seem as heavy as the WSM - and there were a lot of little things. The shutters on the vents are flat the holes are on a rounded surface - Weber shutters are rounded (spheroidal??) so the seal the holes on the rounded surface. The doors are not pre-formed to the curve of the body - I prefer their hinge & latch, but they could have done better.

Its OK, but its not a WSM
icon_frown.gif

Well, this is one of the reasons Sears continues to lose market share. After confirming online that this store had the unit in stock, I stopped by. There wasn't one in sight, no clerk. I walked around for 10+ minutes, the guy finally comes out of the back room and gives me the "I'll be with you as soon as I finish with these other folks". He had 2-3 others cued up by the register. This is the Sears store in the largest mall in the Nashville area.

Arrgh.... I'm frustated when a store front does not have enough help. This guy was covering at least two departments by himself.

Not sure if I'll even make the efforts to go back. Guess why I now do +90% of my shopping on line?

On the other hand at the Sears I went to there were 4 sales person types chatting - no other customers - I asked the pretty sales girl (ignoring the 3 guys) for a bullet - she said they didn't have any, then I showed her the print out - OK, they had one on display. I looked at it, was disappointed and left without buying.
icon_frown.gif

The smoker at Sears is a hunk of crap. One of the cheapeast smokers I have ever seen. You'd be better off going with an ECB at that price point. Seriously, it looks like a joke.

This wannabe smoker is a clone of the ProQ Frontier.

I just saw this in Sears today. It's taller than 17" inches (probably closer to WSM height). I'm guessing it's a 17" diameter grill surface. 3 vents on the bottom (4 holes/vent). Thermometer mounted in the lid. Handles on the center section(s). Hinged door. Seemed like someone built a WSM with many of the "desired" mods already done. However, it didn't seem as well built as my WSM, but then again, it's less than half the price...

The box actually said that it was manufactured for KMart (which now owns Sears?).

If I didn't already have a WSM I would be tempted by the price of this smoker. Of course it would look out of place next to the Genesis and the Performer
icon_biggrin.gif

One more thing, it looked like it had some sort of latches to keep the sections "locked" together and I think the box said that it could be used as a straight charcoal kettle (I'm assuming the top section will fit securely onto the bottom section?).

I'll bet the 17" is the grill diameter. That would calculate out to the 450 square inch cooking area specification, with two grates.

Don't know how well it works. If it has adustable vents and a charcoal grate like the WSM, it may work great, and if it's only $70, it may be a good deal even if not as well made as a WSM. At that price, you could justify replacing one every four or five years.

i looked at one a few days ago. very thin metal. air gaps all over the place. not round, etc. an ecb would be better. maybe worth 10 bucks.

Back