black meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a brisket flat and a pork roast on the smoker and it looks kinda black. Is this creasote? I got the meat out about 30 mins before I put it on. I've been cooking in the 250 range.

Do you mean the meat itself is turning black? This is not unusual for brisket or pork shoulder, it often looks very dark or black, almost burned looking, especially if you use a rub and/or baste that contains sugar.

Or are you saying that a black substance is depositing on the surface of the meat? Can you wipe it off with your finger or a paper towel? Maybe that's creosote? I've never had a black substance deposit on my meat, but I have found a grey, soot-like substance on chicken a couple of times. Is that creosote?

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Chris

I will investigate it further when I take it off the smoker and let you know what I find. I'm kinda in a hurry for supper and didn't want to lose cooking time raising the lid.

If this is what it is can I just cut the outer shell off?

I would try if it's creosote.
As Chris says Briskets and Butt do turn dark while cooking.
How much smoke did you put on?
Jim

It wasn't creosote. I guess what threw me off was I looked at it early in the process when the rub is just starting to blacken.

I've done better, but it wasn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back