Kevi's Award Winning Chili

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kevin Taylor on 9/10/2001

------------
I have won several awards in the upper Midwest with this really simple recipe. I will be the first to admit, it wouldn't do squat in a "real" chili contest! Also, I make my own chili powder with the dried chile's off the WSM.

Kevi's Award Winning Chili

1 pound Ground beef
1 medium Onion(s), chopped
2 cans Tomato soup
1 can Water
1 small can Tomato(s), crushed
1 tablespoon Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Red pepper, crushed
5 tablespoons Chili powder
1 can Kidney beans
1 tablespoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper

PREPARATION:
You MUST use Campbell's Tomato soup for this recipe!! The red pepper I use is the same as they use at the pizza joints.

Brown beef, onion, cumin and red pepper.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour.

Increase/decrease Cayenne and Chili powder to taste.

This recipe is pretty hot as it is......you may want to go light on the Cayenne...you can always add it later.

Howdy Chris!

Let me preface my remark by letting you know how much I LOVE this site! Without it my BBQ would not be half of what it is today. I bought my WSM because of TVWB home page and forum.

Now to get to my comment.

This is not a chili recipe! Award winning? What?! Ground beef, tomato soup and BEANS
icon_mad.gif
of any kind are not chili ingredients. And where's the garlic?

If you think foil gets some "BBQ masters" crazy, ask a chili head "where's the beans?"

Maybe it should be called "Southwest Beef and Bean Stew", or "Hamburger Soup"......anything but chili!

Any how, sorry about the rant. Chili is one of my obsessions and now thanks to you, so is BBQ!
icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a link to the International Chili Society. They've got lots of good championship recipes for chili, salsa and sides.

I think the author of the recipe would agree with you, as he stated, "I will be the first to admit, it wouldn't do squat in a "real" chili contest!"

Still might be good eating, though.

Maybe you will share some of your secret chili recipes with us by starting a new thread?
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Jack
For most this closer to what they call chili, what is be done by ICS and CASI is true by definition but not what folk are going to be eating at the table.
It's kind a like BBQ vs grilling, for most folks grilling is BBQ.
Jim

Jack,

Thanks for the link to ICS. I've been looking for a good chili recipe to experiment with. I'm sure I'll find one there to try soon.

Herb

Just thought someone interested in trying this might benefit from my experience with this recepie. While it wasn't the taste I was looking for it was easy and did have a good flavor. That being said, I would warn anyone that 1 tablespoon of black pepper is way too much pepper. Besides the obvious heat generated by the pepper (which is intense IMHO) the distinct black pepper taste is a little overwhelming. Maybe for the people with a asbestos lined mouth the called for Bpepper/cayenne combination might be allright but for the majority of casual chili eaters I would leave out the black pepper and season to taste with cayenne just before serving. I would also recomend that the chili powder be reduced by at least one tablespoon.
While it may be Mega Macho to eat chili that can melt a spoon, I have found it pointless to make any dish so spicy that 99 out of 100 people suffer discomfort trying to eat it.
these are my opinions for what they are worth, your milage may differ. Thanks Chris for reposting this recepie I enjoy trying new things.
Ed

Back