Hammer Stahl knives

Dann B

TVWBB Super Fan
Went to a food expo a few weeks back, and ran across a dealer selling these. They look and feel absolutely amazing, but just wondered if anyone here had any experience with them?

440 High Carbon steel, Very good look, and they feel really balanced. Just not sure about durability, edge holding, etc.

I'm not familiar with them. Checked their site - very pretty knives. I'm guessing they're made in the style of German knives, a bit heavier and thicker than my preference (I use Japanese knives) but it's hard to say as they do not have a spec chart. They do not note the Rockwell either so it's hard to say what edge life would be (though someone on a different site said they were harder than Henckels - not sure how or if he knows this), nor do they note if the edges are single or double bevel or what the finished angle is.

This would be info I would want to know. Were it me, I'd drop them an email for answers to these questions. The prices are reasonable for quality knives. I'd want to be sure the specs were in line.

HTH.

Thanks Kevin, I'd hoped you'd chime in on this one! All good questions. I'll pose them and share answers, if I get any

Finally got an answer on some of these questions. I believe all but the cleaver are single bevel. They claim Rockwell #'s of 57 (+or-2) and an angle of 13 degrees (+ or - 2) That seems an awfully shallow angle to be durable, wouldn't you think?

I've been happy with the filet knife and paring knife I got from them, but wasn't sure about putting more into the more expensive ones. Not that it means anything, but I did notice they were prominently featured on the main stage at the South Beach Food and Wine Festival

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That seems an awfully shallow angle to be durable, wouldn't you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you mean for a cleaver? What type is it? (Pic?) If a vegetable cleaver, no, that would be fine. That is not something you you'd use for meat, viz. bones. It would chip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">prominently featured on the main stage at the South Beach Food and Wine Festival </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I'm sure they paid well for that.

Sure those knifes looks fantastic.

Will read up on the brand. Im looking for a new set of knives myself.

Thx for Sharing.

Yeah Kevin, I was thinking anything shallower than say 15 might roll too easy. Ah well, they look nice, but function is more important than form, and yes, I think they did pay a lot to have them so prominently featured.

It seems they have a meat cleaver, a veg cleaver, and an 'Asian' cleaver, which should be a veg cleaver.

I really don't use veg cleavers. I do use a meat cleaver but for that I go cheap as I use them for bones. No worry about damage should it occur.

Mostly I use a chefs knife (gyutou), occasionally a santoku, paring, flex or semi-flex fillet, and boning.

I saw them at a food expo 2 weeks ago, and got a completely different answer about hardness and angle. Gave up and ordered a Shun Ken onion 8" chef knife. I LOVE it!

Back