Fresh Ham Recipe

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
So, i'm picking up a fresh, not pre-cooked bone in ~7lb ham to cook this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). Planing on cooking it on the WSM. With that in mind i'm looking for a great recipe...guess brine and glaze of some sort? Never done a whole ham so open to any suggestions.

Cheers !

Should note that we are looking for a pink interior like a store bought ham. This would need curing agent then, yes? Also would need skin / rind removed?

Maybe go with this or a version of it. Sure Kevin will have some good insight...

With only a couple days you do not have enough time to cure a ham, most likely.
icon_frown.gif
If you can do it VERY soon, and inject the cure, and make sure cure temps are 38-40F, you might be able to pull it off if it is not too thick.

Unfortunately you're a wee bit late to cure this bad boy for this Sunday or Monday.....You can still do it though, it's possible it won't be cured all the way through but that is fine (it won't be bad just some parts that are uncured fresh pork). The best ham cure I've ever used is the one Kevin posted on here. You must have a pretty small chunk, is there a bone in it? A regular ham leg is around the 20 pound mark.....

Short of that you can smoke it similar to a shoulder.

Have a great holiday!

Clark

Soonest i could get it in the cure would be tomorrow evening... I haven't actually picked it up from my butcher but he said it should be under 10lbs.

Maybe i'll have to pull the plug on the fresh one and get one they've smoked. Not much fun for a smoker.

Oh yea Clark, I getting it from Hopcotts Meats.

Back