Knives

Jason Perry

TVWBB Member
Looking for recommendations on knives that wont break my wallet. But wanting them to resharpen easily and handle competition as well as home use.

Thanks guys.

This may sound stupid but I have a couple of white handled knives that I picked up at SAMS Club a couple years ago that have turned into my go-to knives for cooking at home. They were only about 7 bucks for the pair and they hold an edge well and sharpen pretty easily also. They have about a 6 inch blade, one is a filet knive and the other has a bit thicker blade. Now for competitions I DID pickup a couple of Forschner Fibrox knives just like these two SAMS knives, they hold a sharper edge longer and are still not terribly expensive. But, for use after use after use I still like those SAMS knives. They are well worth the $7 I gave for the pair. They are in the restaurant supply aisle in SAMS.

Check out Forschner/Victorinox.

I basically use 3 knives for competitions: 12'' slicer, 8'' chefs and 6'' boning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Check out Forschner/Victorinox. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. These always get high marks for quality and good value.

I will have to say Forschner also,good knives for your money.Also Dexter Russell make a good knife,if you run across those they are worth checking out.

Jason,

I have a diamond hone for when they get real bad but other than that I just run them across a steel a few times to put a quick endge back on them. I also have an electric sharpener that I use as necessary, usualy once every 4-6 months when they are real bad. Are they razor sharp, no. Do they cut things well, you betcha. As others have posted, the Victorinox knives are a great value and hold a better blade but these are great CHEAP every day knives IMO.

Troy

I have several Forschner knives and I am very happy with them. But, if you are looking for a complete set that wont break the bank These knives seem pretty popular over on The BBQ Brethren site and are very reasonably priced. I have not used them so I am not endorsing them.

I use all dexter russell sofgrip knives from restaurant depot or online . great knives for the money. i typ only have a slicer and boning knife for most everything. use whatever feels comfortable in your hands

heres the one i use for brisket
dex russell

I bring along a whole quiver of knives to competitions but really only use three of them. A Cuisinart 10" Chef's knife, a 12" Forschner, and some generic 4" paring knife that I think I got at Wally World.

There's a Sanduko(?) knife that I was given but have only tried once and didn't like. A very short, small (and dull) Sandoku knife that I use for scraping chicken skin if for some reason I lose touch with sanity.

I sharpen with a 3 stage Chef's Magic sharpener.

Russ

I'm pretty much a Henckels knife guy. I know they can get pricey, so I picked up my last couple off eBay. I stayed on top of the bidding and got some great deals. Brett.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Here is the TVWB link for Forschner/Victorinox knives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Does this mean if you buy them from that link, some of the $ goes to TVWB? If so, more info would be a good thing.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack

Back