Won't stay lit

DannyMac

I cleaned up the Q I picked up and got it to light. It began heating up and I intended to burn off the grill grates. I stepped away for a bit and came back to find it off. I then could not get it restarted. Anyone else had these problems? Any solutions?

Hi Danny,

Good score on this one on CL ("low low price of nothing" from your previous post). Hopefully this problem you are having is not the reason why. Probably not, as I have had a 200 model going on 6 years and every now and then I run into this problem. The gas regulator on these(and probably other Weber gassers) have a safety mechanism where it limits the flow of gas if it detects a leak\uneven pressure in the hose. I usually set this safety valve off if I turn on the gas at the tank and not realize the the temp control valve on the grill is also open. Below is what Weber recommended to correct-
1) with the gas tank closed, turn the temp control to on. Leave it like this for a minute or two. This will purge any gas in the line.
2) After a minute or two, disconnect the hose from the Q and the gas tank, leaving the temp control on. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
3) After the 5 minutes, turn off the temp control, and re-attach the hose to the Q and then the tank. Make sure that the temp control is in the on position.
4) slowly turn on the gas tank and let it sit for about a minute to let the pressure equalize between the tank and the regulator.
5) after that last minute, start the grill up normally, either with the starter or a long match (careful not to let the gas run too long as you try to light it to avoid a big flash).

This normally works for me. Provided that the gas pipe is not clogged you should get a nice blue flame with orange tips throughout, with the flames in the center of the ring much higher than the rest. If the safety valve is still active you will see very small blue flames. I made the assumption that you were using a hose, but should work the same if you are using the small blue welders gas tank. To avoid resetting this when I'm done cooking I usually turn off the gas at the tank and let whatever is in the hose burn away. Then I turn off at the temp control.

The above should fix if its a safety valve that got set.If it continues something else could be wrong. Make sure you check for leaks along the hose and regulator using soapy water, just in case (should probably do this first). Hope this helps.

Thanks Rob,

I don't have the hose. I'm running of a small tank. I had flame all around so I'm assuming that clogging is not the issue. I'll give your solution a try and post my results.

Rob,
I read your post and I am not in agreement with the steps you listed.
I know the OP is using the small cylinder and you and I are using a hose attached to a refillable cylinder.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 3) After the 5 minutes, turn off the temp control, and re-attach the hose to the Q and then the tank. Make sure that the temp control is in the on position.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do not know why this step states to make sure the temp control is in the ON position!
This procedure seems like it is from the early excess flow fitting time when they didn't reset automatically.

1st of all when turning on the tank valve w/hose before the regulator there is a flow control fitting (excess flow valve ) incorporated in the PLO fitting and if the hose between this fitting and the pressure regulator/control valve is at very low pressure and the the fuel will flow rapidly into hose and in doing that the excess flow valve will trip because more vapor than the BTU value of the PLO is seen. If your control valve is in the OFF position and you do not turn on the control valve right away you will probably never know this safety flow control valve tripper because it will automatically reset in a short time, probably between 1/2 and 3 min.
If you are observant, and have good hearing you will be able to hear this fitting trip, and reset if there are no leaks and the grill control valve is in the off position.
Mos grills set up with regulators that are at the cylinder connection will not have a problem with the excess flow valve at any time because the regulator when functioning properly will not over flow the BTU limit of the PLO fitting unless there is a regulator free flow.

Ads for the OP's problem, I have only used a disposable cylinder one time and that was the 1st time I used my 1st Q and had the wrong cylinder at the time and had to remove the bracket for the skinny disposable. My 2nd Q is ready for the husky one.
icon_smile.gif

I do not know of any flow sensor functions in the control valve and disposable cylinders do not have any, so all I can think of is maybe a cylinder that isn't fully connected, maybe?
OR, I have had trouble when the drip pan was full of water.
If you figure out your problem please post what you found.

My Q200 does that sometimes. It will fire up fine, then when I come back a few minutes later the flame is off and it won't light. It really bothers me when I'm preheating the grate and I show up with a plate full of food just to find out the grill is cold. It's even worse when I have food on the grill and I'm expecting the food to be cooked but the fire is out (how long has it been out??).

The solution has been the same every time I've encountered this problem. Take off the empty bottle, put on a full one, and re-fire the grill.

I recently changed to using a 20 pound tank. Hopefully that will make this problem happen less frequently.

Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

Just swapped out the old regulator for with a new one. It lit right up. I takes a little while to get up to temp but it looks to be a nice little unit.

I had a situation today where my Q220 just wouldn't light. Of coarse we were away in the mountains without tools. Salads were good! When we got home I took the regulator off, took some compressed air and blasted the tiny hole that goes into the tube-burner. That worked right away. I had the blue tank attached to it at the time (regular in hand screwed into the tank). Turned it on and heard gas passing through the tiny hole. Looks like a 7/16" socket to remove the burner, a 17MM wrench to remove the regulator from the plastic bracket and a bottle of dust off will be a must when expecting to use this away from home.

Back