Seperate forum for the Mini WSM Mod?

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
Gang,

I really only come to this portable Grill forum to see the Mini MODS. Do you think this little cooker has enough momentum for its own little forum? I suspect Weber might not like it because it is such a perfect little cooker.

Chris what say you?

I thought this was the Mini/SmokerJoe forum!
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
No, I don't plan to create a special forum for a single modification.

Regards,
Chris

That's one way to look at it

OR you could look at it as

THE WORLD'S GREATEST LITTLE SMOKER!!!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for checking in Chris, we appreciate what you do.

I just can't seem to picture myself making one much less see the need for it's own forum. I would rather make one from an 18.5. I honestly just think they are too small. Has anyone found a steamer that would fit an 18? I have been looking. Now that would be the ticket.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I just can't seem to picture myself making one much less see the need for it's own forum. I would rather make one from an 18.5. I honestly just think they are too small. Has anyone found a steamer that would fit an 18? I have been looking. Now that would be the ticket.
icon_wink.gif

That's the beauty of these little babies they can cook a lot more than you think. 36 wings, two buts, 6 racks of ribs, Two 5lb chickens, etc...

Its the perfect compliment for a 22" weber grill. In other words if you can feed your family on a 22" then you can probably smoke enough food on this mini for that same family.

Jay

Shaun i am also trying to find something that would fit an 18.5 to make a mini smoker.

I think an 18.5 would be fun for the sake of a project, but this entire forum is based on the 18.5 WSM.

The genius of the mini is it's cheap, fun, and an awesome little cooker. You can't do packers and you have to "modify" ribs, but for everything else it works awesome, holds temps amazingly well, burns a fraction of the charcoal, and it cost less than $50 bucks.

Shaun, there is no doubt in my mind that if you had one, you would love it.

yep, was gonna mention that folks use the 18" wsm body to make a smoker on the 18"kettle. many times used on the 18" platinum. or just have a sheetmetal shop make ya a round body.

The wonder is that it cooks so well on surprisingly little fuel, and holds temps ridculously well.

One of the COOLEST things you can do with the Mini that you can't do with any other smoker I have seen is this:

Load it up with food INSIDE the house, place the lid on top, and go set the entire set on top of the fire and KNOW that you are going to get a good smoke.

Oh and you can also UNLOAD it inside the house. This was great during the winter, or when it was raining...

Try that with an 18.5 or a 22
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by JHunter:
The wonder is that it cooks so well on surprisingly little fuel, and holds temps ridculously well.

One of the COOLEST things you can do with the Mini that you can't do with any other smoker I have seen is this:

Load it up with food INSIDE the house, place the lid on top, and go set the entire set on top of the fire and KNOW that you are going to get a good smoke.

Oh and you can also UNLOAD it inside the house. This was great during the winter, or when it was raining...

Try that with an 18.5 or a 22
icon_smile.gif

You can also load it up the night before and store it in the fridge so when you fire it up early the next morning, all you have to worry about is getting the coals lit and then you can go back to bed.
icon_wink.gif

This was our Christmas dinner the night before. (there are actually two rib roasts cooking here, but you can't see the one on bottom.)

imagezbg.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-24

imageoir.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagepwe.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagelym.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

Easiest cook of my life.

Touche!!! Prepping everything and putting it in the fridge may become a tradition!
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, two rib roasts is pretty awesome in that tiny smooker.

Many thanks for the separate forum. I consider my mini-WSM to be one of the most successful experiments I've ever done. It doesn't replace my WSM but it remains one of my most used cookers. It appears to me that the traffic certainly justifies its own forum.

best,
hank

Back