Keurig Coffee Maker

Thom H.

TVWBB Member
It's been a while since there was a discussion here about this appliance. Bed Bath and Beyond has the B60 model on sale, my son wants one. Would be nice with the 20% off coupon. Would anyone recommend or not recommend it?

Thanks!

One thing to consider about these pod coffee makers is that your limited to using the coffee pods that they sell for these makers. That is how they make money on these machines. Similar concept to computer printers. Notice how brand new printers cost just a few dollars more than replacement ink cartridges?

Some people love the convenience of these pod coffee makers and don't mind the "limitations" placed on the type of coffee they can use with it. Just something to consider before purchase.

These should use cups, K cups, I have one and every one likes it.

You can get a cup to use regular coffee, or one to use pods, if you like.

I am not a coffee connoisseur, but its nice to be able to let people pick their flavor or even tea or hot chocolate.

glad I have it.

We have the commercial model at our office, and we had the smaller, manual model at our branch office before we consolidated the offices. We have a real estate closing office where we entertain a lot of real estate agents, buyers, sellers, loan officers and the like, and to a person, they all rave about our coffee and the the agents enjoy taking their clients to our kitchen and showing them all the coffee and tea choices.

I highly recommend these coffee makers. No waste, easy clean up, very good product. Cost is, to be sure, a little higher than with a traditional coffee service at the office, but at home, using the adapter that lets you use loose ground coffee, this downside seems to be mitigated.

Pat

Pre-ground coffee is basically by definition, stale coffee. Buy him a good french press, some fresh beans and a good manual burr grinder and he will be in coffee heaven. Once you try freshly roasted beans (no more than a week old), you will not go back. Alternatively, the aeropress works amazingly well.

I have to agree ^ Im sorry its not much help but if im following the thread right, the brand makes you buy there brand of something ... or something, whatever, but sounds kind of... not fun. im w/ don.

Don & Dan,

there are a large number of roasters making K-cups now that these are so common, from Green Mtn, to smaller names I've never heard of.

Now, is it stale? I dunno, depends on how long it sits ground before it's packed in the airtight k-cups.

as for the fresh ground, Keurig sells a filter-cup adapter so you can use your own roasted blend grind if you wish.

Was looking at these at BB&B and at Sears. They were selling accessory re-usable cups that you load with your own coffee. Seems to me you could load with your own fresh out of your grinder.

Here they are - reuseable K cup assembly at bottom of page:

My K Cup Accessory

I forgot about this thread.
But as a follow up, I bought the Keurig for my son. He brought it over one evening, and I bought one for him too.

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Keurig. My son and I have bought different varieties, and I love trying new blends, rather than sticking to the same one all the time. My wife and I could never decide on a similar coffee that we both liked, and we had various coffee makers, single makers, etc., plus beans and grinders and different bags of coffee sitting around.
Now my wife loves the hot chocolate, I like different roasts and varieties, both regular and decaff. The coffee takes about 30 seconds to make a cup of coffee and its always piping hot, flavorful and delicious. I feel bad about not recycling the k-cups, but it is so darn convenient not to mess with coffee grounds, cleaning etc. And I have a refillable device I can grind my own beans too. But I usually don't, I like to make it and go. There's a water reservoir, so you don't have to add water every time you use it.

T.

Thom,
I've had it and it does makes a tasty beverage especially for those used to Folgers etc. or even $tarbuck$...but for true coffee nirvana freshly roasted beans, ground seconds before making produces an elixer vastly superior IMHO. Like the difference between a micro or home brew vs. Bud. No real comparison.

I've had one for several months and LOVE it. I keep 6 or 8 varieties on hand, and I seldom drink the same one twice in a row. I drink mostly the extra bold varieties.

There are dozens of varieties (mild, extra bold, flavored, tea, etc) of K-Cups made by several different companies. You can purchase directly from Keurig, from several coffee websites, BB& Beyond, and even Amazon. It usually works out to around 50 cents a cup.

The K-Cups are dated, so you can tell how fresh they are. They are sealed tight, and I've never found a stale tasting one.

Don't knock it until you try it. I frankly would have dismissed it as a gimmick until I tried a friend's. I am a convert.

I tried the My K-Cup deal that lets you put your own coffee in it. Even with it stuffed full of grounds, the resulting cup of coffee tasted weak and not as good as drip. Don't use it much.

I have to preface this by saying that i am a coffee snob
icon_biggrin.gif

Freshly roasted coffee has over 850 different flavor compounds. These start to degrade almost immediately after roasting. By the time the coffee is 7 days old almost half of these are gone. By the end of 14 days 70% are gone. The freshness dates on almost all commercially roasted coffee is a minimum of 6 months after roasting. *$ dates their coffee out 12 months. Even if the coffee is sealed the degradation process continues and the coffee continues to lose flavor. As a self proclaimed coffee snob I don't drink anything that is over 14 days old. It just tastes flat after that.

Thom, while travelling this summer,a friend of ours in NJ had one of those Kuerigs. While it was very nice, I just like a good old cup of joe. The Mr. Coffee I bought earlier does a fine job.

we have had a B60 for about 2 years and it is just the cats meow. I do not buy k cups but instead use the reusable one. I grind my own coffee and use various ones. I really like the advantage of no left over coffee. I drink one large mug at a time and my wife drinks one on the way to work. This really has been a great trip for both of us. The only problem I have had with it is last month it said to descale. I don't know why it would need this as it only has RO water which is 19 PPm desolved solids and that should not produce scale. any way after feeding it a lot vinegar it works perfectly again.

gary

My last Keurig died on me outside of warranty. When I contacted the customer service department they told me to descale every three months, don't wait for the descale signal to come up.

Had to buy a new one, too expensive to fix.

Back