thermometers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chris
I'am getting ready to buy a new thermometer. I've been reading an awful lot about the polder. Could you tell me which one is used the most in B.B.Q.and model if you know. the one I have now has gone it's distant. so i will be waiting for your reply
confused.gif
JOE

Hi Joe,

What we think of as "a Polder" is really a generic cooking thermometer/timer that's made in China and then privately labeled and sold by many retailers. Polder was the first and most popular of those retailers. Theirs was called Model 362, and it looks like the picture you see on the Resources page on the Web site. This page lists a couple of sources, including Polder itself. Most people are still using this one, because they last so long. About all that may be needed are new probes, and those can be ordered from Polder.

Other sources include Radio Shack, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linen & Things, Barbeques Galore, and other kitchen and homes stores and Web sites.

We are now also seeing upgraded versions which have a different, more streamlined look and include additional features like programmable temperature alarms for different types of meat. They can be found in some barbecue stores and at high-end kitchen stores like William Sonoma.

Finally, if you're willing to spend around $90, there is a very slick remote control barbecue thermometer that uses two probes and will transmit the temperature readings to a base station inside your house. It is available from Frontgate.com and Sharperimage.com. Here's a post where I described the product:
http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum1/HTML/000008.html

Regards,
Chrs

What would be really cool is if the base station had an interface to a pc. Then I wouldn't have record the temp during the smoking session.

Joe;
I've been reading about this remote probe. Contact the co. They say it will sound an alarm if temps get to high OR to low. Can take up to 4 probes. www.wirelessalarm.com/NU700.htm

------------------
Good Smokin
Dan

I have an NU-700 in addition to the Remote Check I referenced above. It does handle up to four probes, but each has its own transmitter, kind of awkward. The Remote Check uses two probes and a single transmitter.

Other differences? The NU-700 is a bit difficult to get synced with the base station; the Remote Check is much easier. The NU-700 display lights up; the Remote Check does not. The NU-700 transmitter is just a little black box; the Remote Check transmitter displays the temperature on an LCD right at the cooker and has a handy stand. The NU-700 transmitter has no on/off switch; the Remote Check does.

I'll check the NU-700 documentation about the low temp alarm.

Regards,
Chris

Polder has a model 601 thats is programable,
will sound an alarm at a high or low temps.
Ordered 3 units atr $20.00 each from Polder.
Jim

Jim,

I know there are quite a few people looking for low temperature alarms for use in BBQ competition. I'm sure the Polder Model 601 will become the new standard once the word gets around.
wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 07-04-2000).]

Just a follow-up to my post on the NU-700. It has four temperature alarm functions--high, low, in between, and out of range. So, for example, it could be set to alarm when your cooker temperature goes under 200*F or over 250*F. Pretty neat.

Regards,
Chris

We got the Polders 601 in, we have a competion on Saturday so we'll let you know how they work.
Jim

They work as advertized, They have a clock,timer,temp gage, a low and high temp alarm, and the standard alarm for target temp. I got the units for $20.00 each, but have heard the price is going to $25.00
Jim

Hi Chris
I got my new polder thermometer and i had great success with it BUT I found out that the other thermometer i had was off from 10 to20* and they was a brinkman and a taylor candy&deep fryer thermometer.even thro i have the polder i would like to replace them with something else.but i don't know what is a good thermometer and what isn't now days can you tell me what a person can get that is accurate and dependent.I didn't know they were that much off untill i got my polder and that is why i was having so much trouble so if you can help let me know thank you have a B.B.Q.day
biggrin.gif
JOE

Joe,

I like the Trend thermometer with 6" stem and 50-550*F range. You can order one from www.alliedkenco.com. You can find other comparable thermometers as a site like www.barbecuen.com Plan on spending around $35 for a good one.

But with any thermometer, no matter how good, you need to occasionally check for accuracy. You'll find details on how to do this on the Testing Thermometers For Accuracy page. Your better units like the Trend can be recalibrated if testing shows it to be off. Details on recalibrating are found on this same web page link.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back