Spanish Chorizo

G

Anyone have a recipe for homemade Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo?

I tried doing a search, but I kept coming up with recipes that used pre-made chorizo in them. Some of you are probably better at knowing where to look.

I read that Spanish chorizo uses smoked pork, so it sounds like a great use of leftover BBQ!

--Mickey

Mickey,

I'm not a fan of the commercially-available chorizo I've tried in the States and in Mexico. It's way too fatty, being little more than lard and spices in many cases. The product we get over here in Spain is much leaner and, as Richard pointed out, not as spicy, although the butcher will often ask whether you want hot (picante) or mild. The former usually gets its heat from a spicy paprika called piment?n picante.

Here's a recipe from The Foods and Wines of Spain by Penelope Casas. Note that she uses crushed red chili pepper for heat. Chorizo that is less cured is most often used in cooking while the harder and drier ones are eaten as cold cuts. Ms Casas advises against consuming homemade chorizo uncooked.

3/4 lb. lean pork loin, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 lb. pork fat or unsalted fatback, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
1/4 lb. pork fat or unsalted fatback, ground
2 teaspoons course salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground or crushed coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed dried red chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon saltpeter
sausage casings

Mix together the cubed pork and the cubed and ground fat. Add the remaining ingredients except sausage casings. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Stuff the sausage casings, twisting and tying every 4 inches. Hang to dry at room temperature for 3 days, then refrigerate, loosely covered with wax paper, and continue to dry several more days before using. They will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in Spanish cooking. There are recipes for lots of great Spanish dishes as well as other types of Spanish sausages, including butifarra catalana and longaniza.

I think that one of the keys to making a good chorizo, as well as many other Spanish dishes, is to use a good quality Spanish paprika. The very best comes from Jaraiz de la Vera, C?ceres.
You can read about it here.

Regards,

Jim L.

Wow, thanks guys. This is more information than I would have imagined. I'm glad some of these last recipes don't require smoking, because the one I wanted to try required cold smoking, which I've never done. I'll try the non-smoked ones first.

Jim L, I don't remember ever eating chorizo as a cold cut, so I'm guessing Cubans tend to eat the "less cured" ones. Thanks for pointing that out! Even your link for paprika had a chorizo recipe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Back