Leg of Lamb...to die for

G

I do my best to share both failures and successes. Today was a 9 out of 10 !!!

Here is the brief story. 5.2 lb. boneless leg of lamb from costco. Marinated with a 'mash'. I borrowed from several sources (Smoke and Spice and How To Grill). Martini Mash:
1 1/2 T herb de provence,1 onion minced, 4-5 cloves garlic, combine with a couple of T of both olive oil and gin. NO SALT. Rub, bag and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Rest at room temp for 30 minutes. Remove from bag and straight into smoker with mash covering lamb. Smoke at 320* for 2.5 hours-internal temp. 130 for med-rare. Rest 30 minutes before carving. Turn meat once. Used 1 chunk pecan and 1 cherry plus one half burned chunk from previous cook.

It was heavenly! The only thing I would do different would be to extend the marinating time to 8-12 hours.

We had sides of cast iron skillet potatoes and onions,fresh spinach,'fancy' slaw (had red peppers, broccoli and cauliflower).

Topped off with '96 Berenger Howell Mountain Merlot.

I had attempted this on a gasser not too long ago. The WSM performed perfectly. This was an absolute treat.

Steve -
Glad to hear that this leg of lamb turned out so well. Thanks a lot for including the details on the "mash," which I plan to try out myself as soon as possible. I'll marinate it for a longer period, as you suggest. Thanks again.

Tom, the herb de provence had approximately equal parts of: rosemary, basil, marjoram, oregano, thyme, coriander and sage. About 3 parts black pepper. I hope this works well for you.

Steve
Sounds good.One question though. Since it was a bonless leg, was it cooked feleted or bundled and
tied? Im assuming at 325* for 2.5 hours it was bundled.
Your like me 130* -135* is medium rare. So many follow directions that suggest 145- 150 which I consider closer to medium done.
Jim

Jim, the Costco lamb comes bundled and I left it that way. For true med-rare all this one needed was to be PULLED at 130* If you get the costco lamb, you may consider replacing the string bag it comes in with butcher string. I like the onion
and garlic that forms a nice crust and the original bag will pull some off as you remove it to slice.

I too, just did one for Easter. Here?s how I did mine (turned out terrific):

1 6lb. Leg of Lamb (bone in)

Mediterranean Marinade
1 small onion, quartered
2 clove garlic
1/8 cup rosemary (can use basil, oregano or thyme instead)
2 tbls. salt
2 tbls. black pepper
zest of 1 lemon
1/8 cup olive oil

Put all ingredients except OO in food processor. Pulse for several seconds to combine. Drizzle in OO with processor on. Add until paste forms (may need more or less OO, paste should be the texture of whole grain mustard). Rub lamb with paste. Place in refrigerator for 48 hours, turning once.

I smoked the lamb for 4 hours using 2 chunks of oak (use olive if you can get it), 2 chunks of grape wood and thyme branches (foiled), until the thermometer read 140, internal (some guests liked it more done, but I won?t eat lamb above med. doneness, the closer to rare the better). Took it off, rested 10 minutes, and sliced. It melted in the mouth.

Today (Monday) ate some leftover in a pita - gyro style - with onions lettuce and tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber and garlic). Awesome. Better then turkey and stuffing sammiches after Thanksgiving.

Steve, when I?ve done leg of lamb before (in the oven, on a kettle) I found that one good herb (of those in the herbes de provance mixture), accented by lemon and garlic, lends itself to better flavor the lamb. When I?ve used several herbs, they have a tendency to fight with each other for flavor dominance, with none winning. Have you tried just using one? If so, how?d it work for you?

Glad to hear of your success with one of my favorite cuts of meat.

Jay, I have used rosemary, garlic and lemon. It was very similar to your flavor profile w/o the onion and w/o the processing. Yours is an excellent classic recipe.
The herb de provence came from Steven Raichlen. I cannot remmember being disappointed with one of his recipes.

I know the discusion is a little old, but i'm looking for some help with a leg of lamb. Jay, or anyone, what temp did you smoke at? If 325, i assume you are using an empty water pan? I have inlaws comming over for christmas eve and they dont eat beef or pork(imagine that), so leg of lamb it is. I am still a little new at this smokin thing, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian, how did it go?
I have been away...an empty pan would be my first choice.

Albert--since Jay's leg was 6lbs and it took 4 hours to hit med-rare/medium my guess is 235-240, give or take 10, at the lid.

We have lamb about every week or two. Smoked, it is so good, a treat that too many Americans have missed out on. We are blessed w/ an independant butcher who raises organic free range beef, lamb, and pork. Fresh lamb is always available, we usually get bone-in leg for the added flavor. We take sliced garlic cloves and stud the leg and soak in Worchestershire, salt, pepper, Herbs de Provence, wine and a bay leaf for overnight.
We cook over indirect heat w/ Mesquite and a bit of Hickory and use a mop of Bar B Que sauce diluted in beer. About an hour or so before finished we coat with full strength sauce and smoke it in. Once removed we let it rest and slice thin-WOW!
The next day we make sandwiches w/ the leftovers.

Steve,
A man after my heart or stomach. We do lamb about every week or 2. I just posted an item on a rack we did last night which was THE best we have EVER had-home or out.

Back