Questions about rib rub

Thomas Coleman

I'm having some friends over for BBQ next weekend and will be doing BBR on my WSM.

In the past, I have used the BRITU recipe and method. However, lately I have been looking a some other rub recipes here in the forum. K Kruger has posted a few.

The first thing I notice is that KK's recipes use A LOT less sugar - 1/4 c for KK's rib rub vs 1.5 c for BRITU. I've liked the sweetness of BRITU. I'd appreciate any comments from those who have tried both recipes. Did they miss the sweetness? Can more sugar be added to KK's recipe without upsetting some delicate balance?

Couple of other questions:
* I am seeing smoked paprika in the stores. Has anyone tried this? Does the smokiness of the paprika enhance or interfere with the smokiness I get on the BBQ?

* BRITU calls for Accent (MSG). My daughter is allergic to MSG. What does Accent add to the rub? Is there something I can substitute? How will the rub be affected if I leave out the MSG altogether.

Thomas

Not being rude at all, But I could not think of a more awful, Unnatural, Ingredient than MSG.
BBQ is natural, Simple spices should be enough.
Id say just leave it out.

You both did. The Britu rub calls for 6 T sugar (1/4 c white plus 2 T brown). Still, salt excluded, it comes in at 62% sugar. The recipe I wrote comes in at 20%, about the sweetest I'd ever make. See here, here and here for commentary on sugar and rub ingredients.

I find smoked paprika great for grilled items that aren't long enough in the cooker to pick up much smoke flavor. For barbecue I don't use it.

I don't really like to use a lot of sugar in my rubs. If I am looking for sweetness I will make a maple glaze and put a thin coating on the ribs to finish the cook. Basically just to balance off the heat in the rub I would be using.

Smoked Paprika is excellent. I use it in rubs for grilling and also for making fresh sausage. Good good stuff, don't think there would be much point in using it low and slow though, you'll allready have all kinds of smoke flavor!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You both did. The Britu rub calls for 6 T sugar (1/4 c white plus 2 T brown).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my post, I was actually referring to the original BRITU recipe. The one posted on this site is 1/4 batch.

The (full batch) BRITU recipe yields about 2 1/3 C of rub (salt excluded). KK's rub recipe yields about half that. So the best way to compare is by %volume (as KK did above).

For those curious, here is a breakdown of BRITU vs KK rib rub by ingredient class:

BRITU KK
Sugar 64% 20%
Chili 10% 22%
Peppers 4% 15%
Spice 21% 34%
Herbs 1% 10%

Although I've had great success with the BRITU and enjoy the sweetness, I'll be trying KK's rub recipe this weekend. I will post my results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mick N:
But I could not think of a more awful, Unnatural, Ingredient than MSG.
BBQ is natural </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From Wiki:
"Modern commercial MSG is produced by fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane, or molasses."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thomas Coleman:
* BRITU calls for Accent (MSG). My daughter is allergic to MSG. What does Accent add to the rub? Is there something I can substitute? How will the rub be affected if I leave out the MSG altogether.
Thomas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MSG gives my wife a headache, so I always just left it out when I made the BRITU rub and never substituted anything in its place. I can't tell you what it tasted like with the MSG in it, because I never used it, but it tasted OK without it.

However, I will never use the BRITU rub again, as I found this rib rub by Kevin. It is far and away the best rub I've ever used, and is now my go-to rub for ribs. I don't know which KK rub you're planning on using, but I highly recommend this one.

Bryan, You go ahead and lap up the MSG, I wont be.
Still, its what they make it into is the problem.
Think of a still, Various stuff comes off them , One of which will kill you in short order. All from sugar and yeast?
I just cant see a need for MSG in BBQ.
Maybe this is a Country of origin thing? In Australia MSG is a dirty word.

Back