Weber Wok Score!

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
Stopped in at the local Ace today to see if they had the new 2010 model Webers in yet. (They did not).
As I am walking around what do I see over in the corner in a shelf worn box?
A Weber Wok with a clearance sticker on it. $20. I cant wait to break this one in!
wok_0001.jpg

wok_0002.jpg

great find. i decided to get one long ago. i kept seeing them at my home depot up on a high shelf for a loooooooong time. i go in and they are both gone. havn't seen them since. hope i'll get one one day.

Timothy-

Sweet find!!! Timely post, too, as I just dug out my cast iron wok last night to recondition it. Nuked it in my ceramic grill at about 750 degrees to take off the flaking seasoning, then reseasoned it last night:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Going to probably do one more coat of seasoning before putting it to use on the kettle this weekend. Really hoping to get better results with the higher heat from the charcoal!

Rich

question.

this is not meant to be a negative comment, just wondering why use a wok on a charcoal grill? isnt this a waste of charcoal?

Brady-

The key to wok cooking is getting the wok screaming hot and keeping it that way. Most residential stoves are not capable of generating this kind of heat. I have not done it yet, but my understanding is that by using a hot charcoal fire, one can achieve the proper wok temps.

As for being a waste of charcoal, I guess that depends. For me, I figure I'm paying to heat the wok one way or the other, and charcoal is pretty cheap (haven't run the numbers to compare, but it's not that important for me.) If I can achieve what I want to in the wok, it's all good.

I'll post back when I give it a try.

R

Thanks Jim... How does this disk fit on a OTG 22.5 inch kettle? Do you use anything like the charcoal ring from the WSM to arrange coals underneath it?

I am just trying to asses how this option would be any different than finding the actual weber one.

remove your cooking grate and the handles of the disk rest on the edge of a 22.5" kettle.
your charcoal is placed in the center on the kettle.
this disk can also be used directly over an open fire.
I'll photo it and post.

That would be great... thanks! Sounds like you have been pretty pleased with the performance using the kettle. How much charcoal does it take to get it hot enough for a single cook?

These are fun to use. I like them especially because you can reach and sustain much higher temps than you can on the indoor equipment (mine anyway) and the wok stays hot too when you load it up. It's very easy to get these hot enough that the oil ignites
icon_cool.gif
So just need to learn how much coals to use. I have also moved to instead of piling them directly underneath the center to making a smallish ring of lit underneath.

I though Weber stopped making them a couple years ago frankly. These are nice stainless steel and pretty easy to clean up.

Let me first say, as some have already done. The Wok is no longer made. You will only find it as a close out item. Keep your eyes open.

Also there are two advantages to having this wok over an indoor stove top model.

1. Higher heat. As already discussed you can get a higher heat for a longer period of time on the grill.

2. Capacity. This baby is huge. I occasionally have friends over. This winter we did Mongolian beef pita sandwiches. I made this on the stove for 12 people. I had to cook in 4 batches. If I was outside on the grill it would have been one batch. Not to mention I would have been able to socialize with everyone.

Back