1st Smoke (Overnight) on the WSM 22.5"

ChrisP

Starting this thread to log my progress on my first WSM smoke for those that are interested. Starting with a brisket (my first) and butt tonite and plan on throwing on a rack of ribs in the morning. The butt is getting injected, slathered with mustard followed by my pork rub. The brisket is getting inject with beef broth and the rubbed with the best brisket rub recipe from this site. The ribs are getting the same pork rub treatment. I plan on spraying down the meat with apple juice anytime I have the smoker open. I'm using Stubb's charcoal and my smoke wood of choice will be a mix of hickory and mesquite (the same mix I've used previously in my gas smoker).

Chris Is Gonna Have A Good Time Tonight!
I Hope You Have Plenty Of Libations On Hand Chris!
and... of course... I Wish I Were There.

Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Alright first update....smoker is going and the meat is in the smoke

I started with 20 coals..

@ 150F - I set the bottom vents to 0-25-100 respectively
@ 200F - I set the vents to 0-0-25

The ring...I like alot of smoke...
charcoalring.jpg

The Brisket...I trimmed it alittle heavy..made a note so I don't do that next time
brisket.jpg

The pork butt...my specialty...haha
pork.jpg

What a great night to smoke...some good high school football coming on ESPNU...and lots of cold beer...quick question if anyone is still logged on....

I just discover I have a bottom vent that won't close all the way...can i close the top vent some to slow the tempature rise? It seems to be under control right now....hanging at 225 according to the thermometer in the lid...just want to be able to manage it if it gets out of control...

Thanks....

Good start !! But, foil already?

On the vent, yeah, you can use the top vent but only if needed. I'd choke the other 2 bottom vents down before I started closing the top vent.

Bill

LOL...The foil was what I used when I put the initial rub on to let it rest....Its on the smoker no foil...I don't foil anything on the actual smoker

Originally posted by ChrisP:
LOL...The foil was what I used when I put the initial rub on to let it rest....Its on the smoker no foil...I don't foil anything on the actual smoker
Aaahhh .. It kinda looked like you used it when you were injecting but I wasn't sure.
icon_wink.gif
Keep them pics comin' !!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Maverick says the brisket is at 113F and the pork is at 70F....Seems awful quick for the brisket to be that hot....I havent cooked a brisket before so if anyone has any feedback let me know. If it doesn't turn out, the dog will be eating well for the next week.

Maverick says the brisket is at 113F and the pork is at 70F....Seems awful quick for the brisket to be that hot....I havent cooked a brisket before so if anyone has any feedback let me know. If it doesn't turn out, the dog will be eating well for the next week.
Brisket is only 1.5 - 2.5" thick so it'll cook much quicker than a butt. It'll probably be done very early in the am.

Bill

Two hours in the temp has finally stabilized. Definitely much different (and more enjoyable) from cooking on my gas smoker.

Forgot to mention...

All bottom vents closed...Top vent 50% closed...
Chris, stay up for a while and keep an eye on that setting ... It will likely start dropping temp if left that way overnight.

Bill

Bill, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Got two good footbal games on, one high school, one college. I've already adjust the top vent back to 100% open. Monitoring the temp closely.

D A M N Chris, way to step it up on your first cook, that's awesome!! As Bill said your fine. Check out this recent POST on briskets coming up temp quickly in the early stages of your cook. I'll crack a Fat Tire Ale to your cook this evening. I'm not smoking this weekend so I'll get my fix through yours. Good luck man and enjoy it, it's a great cook to start with.

Haha...I thought I was playing it safe. I figured if the brisket turned out like shoe leather we still had the butt and ribs.

agh....tempature spikes.....all vents closed...temp still rising....added cold water to the pan temp still rising....my gas smoker is in the corner laughing at me at this point....

When you get your temp back down, slowly re-open vents. Try one at a time, or 1/4 each, whatever you're more comfortable with, she'll settle in, trust me.

Back