Is a pizza stone necessary if you have pizza screens?

danmarks

TVWBB Fan
i have stones and screens but havent every tried outdoor pizza making w/ a bbq device. w/ a stone, you have to preheat it for quite a while. would using a pizza screen instead allow for the proper cooking of the pizza so a stone isn't needed?

I've done many pizzas on the kettle but have always used a stone. Here are a few links:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=332103542#332103542
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=643102123#643102123

That being said, we've also just taken the dough, rolled it out and put it directly on the grate, let it cook until golden on one side and then flipped. Once flipped we usually brush the top (golden side) with garlic olive oil, herds and Parmesan cheese and cook until the bottom is also golden brown. It is more of a bread than pizza but is out of this world good.

As for the screens, I'd say you could make it work but it may take a few cooks to get it right...only one way to find out. Good luck!!

Edit: I also did a deep dish pizza on the Performer that would have been awesome had I not dropped it.
icon_eek.gif

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=755103693#755103693

I've done alot of pizzas and though I use a stone for the oven I never use one on the grill. I make a two zone fire in the kettle and oil the grate up good. I put some olive oil on one side of the crust and throw it on the grate over the coals. I olive oil the top next. After a couple minutes I flip it over and give it a couple more minutes on the other side. Then I add all the toppings and slide it over indirect heat for 15 to 20 minutes and it's done. The crust has a smokier flavor without the stone IMHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
i have stones and screens but havent every tried outdoor pizza making w/ a bbq device. w/ a stone, you have to preheat it for quite a while. would using a pizza screen instead allow for the proper cooking of the pizza so a stone isn't needed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use nothing but screens for my pies. Wether I do em on a grill or in the oven. I like screens as you don't have the hour or so pre heat thing to deal with.
icon_wink.gif
Link to my NY style pizza dough thread. HTH

I use a large flower pot base turned upside down in the oven for bread should also work on the grill for pizza.

John

What Bryan says - I haven't done them out doors/on a grill yet but in the oven been using screens only based on his recommendation awhile back. Works great everytime!!

For grilled pizza I use nothing - just direct on the grate. These are small though, just 6-8 inches, so easy to handle.

I've made 12 inch pizas right on the grill. There wasa great article on Grilled Pizza in Tauntons Fine Cooking (August/Sept 2004 vol 66 page 38). You put your crust down on the grill cover the grill wait a minute then flip it and ad your toppings cover again and its done in like 3 minutes total.

danmarks, if you want that article send me a pm and i'll photocopy it for you and send it to you. It's a really versatile look at grilling pizza andideas on a wide variety of toppings and prep. Tom

Back