Recommended Wireless SMOKER thermometer?

David Z.

Hi,

I am looking for a good wireless smoker thermometer. Ideally, it would be able to alert me if the SMOKER temperature gets too low or too high.

Would also like to be able to check on the meat as well...

If I have to, I could buy two (one for low, one for high).

Do folks have any recommendations? Thanks!

DZ

The one I know is by Maverick:
Model #ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
Maverick smoker therm

It doesn't have the range it's supposed to, and my query below, is asking if it's been upgraded recently. The thing that's great about it is that it's designed for smokers and will alert you to a temp that's too low or too high as well as the food temp.

Michael

Look at the Maverick ET-73. It will monitor both the meat temp and the smoker temp. You can set it to alert you if the smoker goes above or below set temperatures, and to alert you when the meat reaches the temperature that you have designated.

Here is a link to it on Amazon:

Maverick ET-73

Buy it through the Amazon link here on the site and help support TVWB.

Originally posted by Michael G.:
The one I know is by Maverick:
Model #ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
Maverick smoker therm

It doesn't have the range it's supposed to, and my query below, is asking if it's been upgraded recently. The thing that's great about it is that it's designed for smokers and will alert you to a temp that's too low or too high as well as the food temp.

Michael

Michael,

Looks like you were quicker on the trigger. I've never had the range problems that most people complain about. Then again, the farther that my receiver usually gets from the transmitter is about 40'.

A search for wireless thermometer results in this - wireless thermometer

You'll find that the Maverick ET-73 is one of the only ones beeps on too low of a temperature. Results vary on the range of wireless.

The other one to consider is the Nu-Temp 701. It can do high or low. To do both you need a second transmitter. The Nu-Temp supports up to 3 transmitters. I have this one, with a second transmitter. It works well.

I also have a BBQ Guru and a Thermapen, so I'm geared up.

Either one should work fine.

My problem with the ET-73 might be walls. I need it most when I'm either in my office on the second floor or my bedroom n the third. It's not reliable in either location.

I have to look at the Nu-temp.

Michael

I recently got the ET-73, my very first wireless/probe unit. Why is the on/off switch on the transmitter located in the battery compartment? It is somewhat inconvenient to prop open the battery cover to access this on/off switch every time.

George I believe the ET-73 trasmitter is designed to be water resistant and is the cause of the switch to be inside.

I've had mine for a 2-3 years. The main issue with this unit is the flimsy on/off switch of the reciever. Mine has broken twice. I have now send it back the 2nd time for repairs.

When I get it back I may just keep it in the ON position and just remove batteries to switch off.

John

David,
If you do not have "line of sight" where you plan to use your ET-73 I would recommend you look into the nu-temp that Russel mentions. The ET-73 will not work through walls. Some say it will and it might for some, but generally, it will not. I have an ET-73 and thankfully, my deck is right out side my bedroom window so I have close line of sight and it works well for me. I also think it is a good wireless thermometer for the price. But if you're expecting to be able to carry the receiver around the house while your cooking or you need to go through walls for a signal, I think you'll be disappointed.

I use the Oregon Scientific AW131
http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-S...id=1244815781&sr=8-1

It works great. The only problem is that you'll have to get 2 if you want to monitor meat and grate temp. It's not a problem for me because I don't need a constant temp for the meat. I just use my Thermapen for meat temps.

I didn't buy the Maverick because of all of the problems I've read with the transmitter and receiver not having a good range. I haven't had any problems with the transmission on the AW131. I place my smoker on one side of my house and get transmission in my bedroom on the other side of the house. I even get transmission from my basement when I'm down there watching a game waiting for my food to be done.

I was initially interested in the Maverick because of the 2 probes. Then I realized that transmission range was the most important feature to me so I figured I would just buy 2 AW131 if I wanted multiple probes.

Back